Thread: What’cha think?

What’cha think?

As of this Saturday (07/01) we no longer need a permit to carry a concealed firearm in the State of Florida. (We do NOT have open carry)

FWIW, I’ve had a concealed permit (still valid) for something like 30 years and had to meet the permit requirements as well as satisfy the gun handling and safety testing process.

The way I understand it, anyone can carry concealed as long as they’re legally allowed to own a firearm. I have mixed emotions. Just curious what the general thoughts are from youse dufes.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Overall I think they are worth it. The few I've been through the shooting part is worthless, but the part of understanding how the law sees using lethal force is helpful. I also think it helps first time gun owners get familiar.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Indiana went to permit less carry or constitutional carry last year. Haven’t seen much of a issue with it so far. As it stands now, it’s pretty much the same people that were prohibited from getting a permit before that are prohibited from carrying now, convicted, felons, mentally ill, a addicts.

The issue for law-enforcement becomes how you determine whether someone is prohibited or not. In Indiana, law enforcement cannot run a criminal history on someone just because they are carrying a firearm.

However, they will be adding a file that is controlled by the BMV that would flag a prohibited person when their drivers license is ran by law enforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Seems like a dl flag might be a much simpler way to tell good guys from bad guys if the database is kept up.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    concealed carry open carry it don't matter.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 "Because the sentence against a criminal act is not carried out quickly, the heart of people is filled with the desire to commit crime."

Believer or not the principle is sound
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Seems like a dl flag might be a much simpler way to tell good guys from bad guys if the database is kept up.

BKB
    They already do it with protective orders and no contact orders so I think they are on the right track. The hitch will be making sure everything is reported and done correctly. The hang up will probably come from the mental health people and how well they report to the database.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    We’ve always had open carry in VA and have been “shall issue” for concealed carry with no live fire requirement for at least 20 years. No serious issues from what I can tell. I’ve had a permit mostly so I could carry while bow and ML hunting.

I thin DD is right that the most important aspect of the “training” requirement for a permit is a basic understanding of gun safety and some of the legal aspects of self defense.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke