Thread: Need a Recommendation for a Mandolin Slicer

Need a Recommendation for a Mandolin Slicer

I'm looking for one, don't wanna spend a lot of money. Requirements are all the usual function but I want to be able to julienne up to french fry size. I've been eating the hell out of sweet potatoes cut like fries in olive oil.

As long as I've been the primary cook in my life, I've never used one. I know Trav has a really sharp one and needs to pay attention when using it
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Best recommendation for a mandolin is keep lots of bandages handy.

Mandolins scare the bejeebers out'ta me personally. Lynn won't get near one. Dangerous mf'ers IMHO.

I didn't ask for a headcount of pussies They're no sharper than some of my knives, trust me. I think it's the motion and velocity people use them with, coupled with a distraction that equals cutting yourself.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I don't have a mandolin slicer, but I did break a ukelele once.

For French Fries, I use the LEM FF maker.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

OK I'll bite, what's LEM?

Don't get me wrong, I can do it, and do it well with my regular knives, just looking for something a little easier that can help with some of the other culinary tasks.

You cook? Outdoors?

And don't know who LEM is?

OK.......um........you just moved back to "Yankee" status.

www.lemproducts.com

This is their FF maker. Buy it at Academy Sports.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/3...tchen_Supplies

Or go crazy and get the commercial one for a hunnert bucks, but this one works fine.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Ooooo, thanks Bucky!

I still don't know why you want to slice a perfectly good musical instrument, but I assume you meant you wanted to know how to easily slice french fries. Right? If so, may I assume this was of assistance?

It is of assistance. I DO want to make fries, but I want to julienne more veggies, too. Chopped salads and stuff like that. I still want a mandolin slicer but I also REALLY want a real mandolin. For some reason I've convinced myself I could just pick one up and start playing it since I've played the guitar so long

Because it sounds so neat?

YEah, I have the right hand skills for it I think... or used to anyway... and from watching folks strum them, most of the movable cord patterns look like a subset of guitar chords.

Len I bought one for Cheryl several years ago from Cabelas... It is made out of heavy cast iron and she loves it.
    There were (at that time) two optional plates that cut larger and smaller fries. I purchased both of them with it.

Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Slice a guitar, make a mandolin. Slice a mandolin, make a ukelele. Slice a potato, get fries.

Sorta cosmic.

Cabela's, and Bass Pro, and probably others........sell the LEM products, sometimes under their own brand. Captain's Cabela's is same as LEM.

If you want that model, LEM has it refurbed for $20 less than new. I've never had any problems with my plastic one, but I'm sure the stainless one is more hearty.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/4139/194

Len, I play guitar and banjo with a bunch of bluegrass pickers and I also wanted to get a mandolin. My wife and kids bought me an "A" model and I traded it this year for a Morgan Monroe "F" model. Learn 3 four finger chords and you can play the "chop" beat to just about any bluegrass song. Lots of fun, go for it.

Speaking of banjo, I've been wanting a six string banjo for a long time. Anybody ever played around on one?
    BKB

Yeah, Suzie Jean Banjoe.

I wanna play the banjo, too! That's one I KNOW I hve the right hand technique for... for some reason, the older I get, the less coordinated my left hand becomes.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I will make you a deal on mine, I can't hardly look at it. Heck I get s little queasy when I see one in use on TV. I am actually kidding about selling mine and I will prob use it again some day but never without the little veggie holder thingy. I can tell you even after almost 3 years the tip of that finger is still uber sensitive, doesn't really hurt it just kind of tingles.
    Last edited by Trav; 03-04-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Scratch Trav from the banjo discussion.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Oh, mine is a Pampered Chef like this one http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering...&outletSubCat=
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

I heard of a college fraternity-house guy, who got the munchies, and was using one of those slicer-thingys, while he was high and butt-naked....he was slicing taters, while holding it between his knees, and sliced his...................well, you know the rest of the story.
    Southern Gentleman

Booger is your mandolin a tater bug or a standard? I had a great aunt glynnis that used to play a tater bug when I was a kid.
    BKB

First one was an A model, traded it for this F model. Love it. Had a buddy set it up and make bridge and neck adjustments. http://www.amazon.com/Morgan-Monroe-.../dp/B007N052QC