Thread: Cutco Knives...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

Cutco Knives...

...are they worth the money?

I'm a bit concerned as my wife has scheduled a call with a Cutco knife salesman tonight and I am having flashbacks of the Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Salesmen I have seen in action over the years.

My preference would be to skip out on the whole call, but having been married for 31+ years now, I know that wouldn't have a pleasant outcome either.

So is this call and the knives a waste of time?

Have to remember to hide the credit cards when I get home tonight.

I made a small fortune selling Cutco knives when I was doing the eBay thing. I’d snag every one I could find from estate sales. I never used them, just sold them.

I will say, they’re extremely popular and their warrantee is hard to beat. You get lifetime sharpening and when you send them in, they basically refurbish them. Sharpening, buffing scratches out of the handles, etc. I’d also grab any abused or broken knives I ran across since Cutco will replace them at 1/2 price, so I’d send them a piece of total (obviously abused) junk and get a brand new knife in exchange. Even at 1/2 price, there was a few bucks to be made when resold.

Are they worth the money? I have no clue. I guess it depends on what’s important to you.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I'm split here. We have some because our kid sold them for a while when she was in college. They are an awesome knife, sharp, they'll resharpen for life and they have some pretty great utility knives. That being said they are crazy expensive so I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. If it were me I'm fine with just using any old knife and it not being as good.

Bwana - I'd say the real question here is does the knife value, and happy wife value make this an easy decision

We bought some Cutco knives many years ago. I still use most of them, I sharpen them with a steel once in a while myself. They hold an edge well. The knife I always pick up first is a Japanese knife by a company called Dao Vua. Mine is made from car spring steel, is sharp AF and its fun to use. It is not the prettiest knife but once you start using it you hardly ever pick up anything else. And I think my daughter paid like $70 for it.
    BKB

IMG_2148.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I think at one point they were worth the money but you can get a pretty nice set of Shun, Zwilling or Wusthof for much less now.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    They’re good quality knives but I like some of the one’s Trav mentioned better and they’re cheaper. (But, I don’t mind sharpening my own knives.). I’m also the main cook in the family but if my wife was sand she wanted them I’d probably go along for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

As I fully expected there is some hardware headed our way. We have several weeks to try them out and can send them back if they are not what we were promised or if we don't like them. Time will tell.

I seriously doubt you’ll find a reason not to like them, unless you consider price as a “reason”. I’m sure you’ll like the knives themselves and it would be nearly impossible to beat their warranty. Good luck with ‘em!

You'll like them. I'm betting you didn't get much of a vote!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I'm ashamed to admit I know nothing of kitchen knives. Every kitchen knife I own is Votorinox (Swiss Army)....

You gotta pick your battles and weeding thru all of the kitchen knife bluster was just too much for me. 😊

Fingers crossed they are at least HALF of what they are bragged up to be.

Hombre - She DID ask me what I thought, but after 31 years of marriage I am BEGINNING to recognize rhetorical questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Fingers crossed they are at least HALF of what they are bragged up to be.

Hombre - She DID ask me what I thought, but after 31 years of marriage I am BEGINNING to recognize rhetorical questions.

Ah the rhetorical questions. There's so many

1) Where do you want to eat. (This ones a trick because it requires an answer but they already know where they want to eat)

2) Should we go out this weekend

3) Any question on how to decorate the house. I always am asked my opinion and I think its just to do the opposite.