Thread: Chili peppers

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar

Chili peppers

The red hot kind but not the band. I don't usually grow hot chilis but picked up a plant (Basket of Fire) on impulse at the garden centre this spring. It was covered in flowers and looked interesting. Put it in a big pot and stuck it in the sunniest, hottest part of the garden. I now have a whole buncha HOT little peppers and have no clue what to do with them. Tried one the other day and they live up to their name - smokin'!

Anyway, I know some of you grow these things so what do you do with them? Dried, sauce? I can take a pretty hot pepper but these are lotsa hotsa.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I do fermented hot sauce with my Serranos, pepper jelly with the Habaneros and “Cowboy candy” with the Jalapeños.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I’ll vouch for Hank’s hot sauce! good stuff! I am an amateur hot sauce maker meownself. I like the tabasco peppers for mine though.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I fermented a batch of Tobasco last year and it was as so hot I couldn’t figure out how to dilute it. I used the same recipe as the Serranos and the only used I could figure out for it was to peel paint.

Yeah, I think these might make a good base for bear spray. The Missus put a tiny piece on her tongue and bitched about it for an hour. Long lasting burn. Dried and for decoration maybe?

Chili peppers

Your description sounds like Thai Chili Peppers Johnboy. They’re used fresh in a lot of Thai dishes. You’ll also find them as a condiment on the tables of most “authentic” Thai restaurants, diced up fresh in vinegar or fish sauce. Other than that, they normally roast (fry) them to dry them out, then grind them up into “chili flakes” to use as seasoning in many Thai dishes. Personally, I have NEVER been to a Thai restaurant that did not offer the dried chili as a condiment. If not on the table, they’ll bring it to you in a small container and tiny spoon (use sparingly)

Use your imagination, a pot of homemade chili is a good one. (I even put them on pizza) I suppose the best way to grind them would be with a food processor. In Thailand, they do it by hand with a mortar & pestle.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Again, I’m just guessing what you have, going by your description. If they are Thai Chilis, here are some ideas.

https://izzycooking.com/thai-peppers/

I raised some Thai chili peppers indoors in pots over the winter once. I had four of the hottest peppers you could grow in pots and as they’d ripen, I picked them off and threw them in a big bowl on the counter to dry. It was that big bowl of dried peppers that did Cliffie in when he and some other GHers came and we tried to find some quail (we didn’t)on a lease Trav and I had that should have had quail all over it.
    Cliffie ate a few of those peppers and then tried to put out the fire with about eight beers. The rest is history.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha! I remember that story P-hole. I miss ol’ “Cliff Claven”. Matt’s mouser story is a G/H classic. I wonder if anybody saved that story?

The story he told about the dead chipmonk and the reaction from the academics at his college was pretty hilarious too. I’m proud of him. His book Fishing Through the Apocalypse oughttobe required reading for outdoorsmen, especially fishermen.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha ha ha! Yeah, I meant the chipmunk story. I “think” he posted it in the “mouser” thread we started to kind of rub it in to whomever it was who could never spell Mauserman and always wrote “Mouserman”. It may have been Jeff, can’t remember.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piqu...omplex%20taste.

My Mom brought me some of this back from Puerto Rico and it was killer on greens and “bawled” peanuts. I may try to make some of it this year.

The variety is "Basket of Fire (Capsicum Annuum)" and I guess they are considered a hot but not super hot chilli. Not sure I'd want to try anything hotter than these little boogers though. Around 80,000 units on the Scoville scale, not as hot as Habeneros apparently. Gonna string them up and dry them out. I'll figure out what to do with them later.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Speaking of Thai food, the mother of one of my son's friends is from Thailand and she recently opened up a food truck serving Thai food. Depending on what she serves, what would you Thai food experts recommend?
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Chili peppers

ALL of it!!

The old honky white boy standard would probably be Pad Thai. Depending on the chef and how it’s prepared, I use different (Thai) condiments to doctor it up to my particular tastes (Thai chili flakes, “peppered” vinegar, lime juice and occasionally a touch of sugar). It’s all a personal preference, like salt & pepper on “American food”.

You’ll usually be offered chicken, pork or shrimp. I’m a pork guy.

I can't find a menu of what she will be serving but if anyone is interested she has a Facebook page under Kra-Tib Thai & Isaan Cuisine. It shows quite of bit of what she makes. Some of the things she actually named is TomYum soup, Kha-knom Chan, and Som Tum.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Chili peppers

Cool! I’d be all over that! Isaan style is my all-time favorite (I lived in Isaan for over 3 years) and relatively hard to find in the states. Isaan is basically a poor, farming area of N.E. Thailand and the food is more a mix of Thai and Lao (Laos). They pretty much used what they could grow or find locally and use their cooking skills to make a good meal with what they had, or could afford.

Most of what you get in the States is Bangkok style meals. Northern (Isaan) style and Southern (Bangkok) style can be miles apart. Northern is generally spicier also. Every dish you named is good and I’d jump all over any of them. Careful on the som tum though, Isaan style can be super spicy, but they’ll usually ask how you want it. Som Tum isn’t for everybody. It’s a shredded GREEN papaya with a mix of ingredients … a salad actually. GOOD som tum is to die for, but I’ve had some crappy versions I didn’t care for.

Damn! I’m hungry now. I think it’s well known here how much I love to eat, but I’ve always said, if someone told me I could only have ONE type of food for the rest of my life, my answer would be Thai food. That says a lot for this Southern boy.

BTW, I’m not sure what kra-tib is. I think it’s probably (I think kratip?) which I believe is the straw container Thais use to hold food (like a lunch box for us). Kind of a “take out” container maybe?

If I remember right, she is from the NE part of Thailand. My son isn't a big fan of spicy food and he tends to take after my wife who doesn't like to try much of anything new, but he raves about a couple of the things she makes from when he's been to their house. Of course her sticky rice is his favorite.

I think you're right on the container. She was in Thailand a while back and posted a photo of a bunch of straw baskets.
    Last edited by DeputyDog; 07-18-2023 at 03:19 PM.

I just re-read your post. My bad. Yeah, the kra-tib (kra-tip) would probably mean take-out. I have probably eaten my weight in sticky rice (Khao Neow) quite a few times. It’s also used in a classic mango dessert that’s to die for. Yep, N.E. Thailand. I lived in a village outside of Udon Thani. She very well may be from there, but if not, definitely from that area. I wanna go!

Tell her if she’d make me a big ol’ plate of Kai Yut Sai (w/pork) and a giant pot of Kao Ka Moo, I’ll fly up there and spend the weekend with her to eat it. Tell her I’d like a couple of boiled eggs with pickled greens on the side with the Kao Ka Moo. They are two of my all-time favorite Thai dishes and cannot be found in ANY Thai restaurant in the States.

BTW, here's a kra-tip. They'd normally fill it with sticky rice.

thai kra-tip 2.jpg

For starters, papaya salad and Tom Kha Gai soup. When I want noodles, I typically go for Pad See Ew (pork). The first two can be a bit spicy depending on how you like it. The rest just depends on what you like. I’m a fan of any of the Panamg curries and my favorite is with crispy catfish. We just had Thai on Sunday and got soft shell crabs with a ginger/garlic sauce on the side and it was larupin.

If she has any Thai “street food” on the menu, you can’t go wrong there with some sort of grilled meat on a stick.

I was finally able to make it to her food truck today for lunch. She had a limited menu and I went with the Pad See Ew with chicken. Pretty damn good!