Thread: Chili peppers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chili peppers

Cool! I’d be all over that! Isaan style is my all-time favorite (I lived in Isaan for over 3 years) and relatively hard to find in the states. Isaan is basically a poor, farming area of N.E. Thailand and the food is more a mix of Thai and Lao (Laos). They pretty much used what they could grow or find locally and use their cooking skills to make a good meal with what they had, or could afford.

Most of what you get in the States is Bangkok style meals. Northern (Isaan) style and Southern (Bangkok) style can be miles apart. Northern is generally spicier also. Every dish you named is good and I’d jump all over any of them. Careful on the som tum though, Isaan style can be super spicy, but they’ll usually ask how you want it. Som Tum isn’t for everybody. It’s a shredded GREEN papaya with a mix of ingredients … a salad actually. GOOD som tum is to die for, but I’ve had some crappy versions I didn’t care for.

Damn! I’m hungry now. I think it’s well known here how much I love to eat, but I’ve always said, if someone told me I could only have ONE type of food for the rest of my life, my answer would be Thai food. That says a lot for this Southern boy.

BTW, I’m not sure what kra-tib is. I think it’s probably (I think kratip?) which I believe is the straw container Thais use to hold food (like a lunch box for us). Kind of a “take out” container maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    If I remember right, she is from the NE part of Thailand. My son isn't a big fan of spicy food and he tends to take after my wife who doesn't like to try much of anything new, but he raves about a couple of the things she makes from when he's been to their house. Of course her sticky rice is his favorite.

I think you're right on the container. She was in Thailand a while back and posted a photo of a bunch of straw baskets.
    Last edited by DeputyDog; 07-18-2023 at 03:19 PM.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."