Thread: It's about time for

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

It's about time for

a little college football.

just a few preseason predictions of everyone's favorite teams.

We'll start with the Big 12:
    Oklahoma 9-3
    Texas 10-2
    W. Vagina 7-5

Big 10:
    Iowa 8-4
    Mich 11-1
    Ohio st 11-1
    Purdue 7-5

SEC:
    Bama 11-1 if they find a qb early. 10-2 if they don't
    Hogs 7-5
    Georgia 11-1
    LSU 10-2
    Tenn 9-3
    A&M 8-4

ACC:
    Clemson 9-3
    NC st 9-3
    V Tech 7-5

Notre Dame: 9-3

if I missed anyone let me know and I'll edit.
    Last edited by quercus alba; 08-03-2023 at 07:20 PM.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    The Big 12 Champion doesn't even get a slot?

I was about to point out the same thing, Hombre! And that coach from the frozen nordland is just hitting his stride! You’ll notice TCU wasn’t either.
    9-3 sounds about right for OU. I would accept that in Venables’ 2nd year of rebuilding. they have some pretty big potential but it’ll require a lot of injury luck. They’re not deep enough. The first year in the SEC (2024) they will be though.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Texas might if they can beat Bama but Texas has choked more than a few times in recent years. If they played at home I might give them the nod over Alabama and I might anyway by the time it rolls around. If Milroe starts at qb for Bama they're in trouble. Unless maybe they break out the old Barry Switzer wishbone

K State would have to run the table to get in IMO which is gonna be tough @ Texas @ Texas Tech @ Missouri and @ Okie light, plus TCU, Baylor and UCF are gonna be difficult as well.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

TCU has to play @ Houston @ Iowa st @ Kansas st @ Texas Tech and @ Oklahoma plus Texas, Baylor and West Vagina at home

Pretty salty slate
    Albert Einstein

Texas Is Back IV the sequel!

Not.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I'd be really happy with a 7-5 record for Purdue in the first year of the Ryan Walters era. I really like the energy and scheme he is brining to the program and his track record on building defenses is pretty good.

The do have a pretty tough schedule this year, with games at Iowa and at Michigan, plus Ohio State at Purdue. They also play at Virginia Tech in week 2.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

If there's one thing I've learned about Purdue it's that 80% of the time they're going to screw up my predictions 100% of the time
    Albert Einstein

What’s going on with the B1G? They gonna snag Wazzoo and Oregon? What happens to USC/UCLA if the Pac12 goes tits up?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

They very well could Posty. I think everyone is watching ESPN to see what happens there, they may not be in the position to offer the big money that they once did. They could save a lot of money by getting rid of that knucklehead Steven A. Smith. People are really sick of politics being forced on them through sports.

If the Pac 10 loses any combination of USC, UCLA, Wazzoo and or Oregon to the Big Ten then Arizona and Arizona st will jump to the Big 12.....maybe Utah as well. The Pac 10 then recruits a few group of five teams and becomes a weaker version the CUSA in my opinion.

Of course these Super Conferences might decide to break away from the NCAA and that's a whole nuther conversation. That wouldn't be a bad thing in my book.
    Albert Einstein

I followed you except for the ‘forcing politics’ on us. I’m a dyed in the wool cfb fan and I’ve never felt that from any team/conf/level. I watch cfb to escape that shit.

Or is just because its left coast?

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

It appears to me (and apparently a lot of others) that ESPN and other networks try to interject a political agenda where it's not necessary. Sports is a getaway from reality for people and few care what race or religion or social status or political affiliation a player is as long as they can run, throw or catch. America is very tolerant as a whole and football fans want to watch football.

I can watch politics on CNN or Fox when I feel the need for pain.

On another platform what is your opinion of the NIL and transfer portal?
    Albert Einstein

USC and UCLA have already left for the B1G. I saw that Arizona is looking at the Big 12 and the rumor is that the B!G is looking at Oregon and Washington, and then maybe even Cal and Stanford which will kill the Pac. There are even rumors that the B1G is looking to poach a couple from the ACC as well and expand to as many as 20 teams.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Deputy….WOW. I had no ideaall ofthat was going on.

QA, sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying politics (national ones not football) was a driver in these conference moves. I’m completely with you on ESPN. IMO they’ve done more harm for real sports journalism than anybody. Lots of layoffs in the sports media business lately. I subscribe to The Athletic and they were a great place for good sports writing until they got bought by the NYT. First thingthey didwas lay off a bunch of beat writers; the core of any decent sportsmedia company. I haven’t decided if I’m going to re-up. If the Cards were doing better this year I’d prolly do it.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

I think the ACC will hold off longer than others. Sure, Florida st is making noise but they're just after more money.

Clemson, North Carolina and Florida st would be a natural fit for the SEC but money talks and BS walks and that's what it's all about
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    The ACC could be interesting this year. Both FSU and UNC are getting a lot of preseason love and everyone thinks/hopes that Dabo and Clempson may drop off a bit. I suspect UNC is just wishful thinking and I’ll believe it’s not Dabo’s to win when I see it. I think you’ve got State about right and I hope Tech can get to 7-5. Second year for the new coach and we’ll see what sort of roster he’s built.

Man, I love talking football again. I’ve been reduced to watching the Women’s World Cup. Entertaining, but not the same…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Well, it happened. The death nell has sounded for the PAC 10. The B1G just announced that Oregon and Washington will join starting in 2024 when USC and UCLA also join.

What are they going to call themselves now since they're numerically challenged anyway?
    Albert Einstein

That will put them at 18 teams, so I guess, just calling them the BIG will work.

Bam!

Seems like the ACC is next. Seems like FSU and Clemson to the SEC is just a matter of them figuring out how to buy their way out of a grant or fights that goes until 2036. If that happens, UNC and UVA to the B1G is rumored.

And just like a Jenga puzzle, Texas and its effing Longhorn Network, which caused four schools to move, started this whole thing in the Big 12. That cascaded into what we have today.
    Effing Tejas.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I wish the Hogs had gone to the Big 12, I feel like we're a man without a country in the SEC. Texas, TTech, Baylor, TCU......that just feels like home
    Albert Einstein

Recruiting with the portal now is wild already, its about to get wilder with hardly any regional boundaries for conference.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

With the NIL recruiting is going to get wilder until there's some kind of uniformity. Won't never be equal, money will always win out but some kind of consistency would help.

At least to the Arkansas's and Vandy's of the CFB world.
    Albert Einstein

I think coaches/schools will make NIL and the portal work better by being more selective about who they give scholarships to. And putting some structure in place to help their kids set their NLI deals up the right way.
    Its a brave new world in college sports.

bKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I guess the rich have always gotten richer. It’s just out in the open now.