It’s a bit of a coincidence, but a couple days ago, I read an article about the major fast food chains (Wendy’s, McD’s, etc) are remodeling and changing their restaurants to be more digital/delivery/drive-thru oriented. They’re eliminating or downsizing the dining areas, but adding kiosks for ordering, expanding/adding drive-thru lanes and building shelves to stack pick-up and delivery orders.

Ok, fine. I assume that’s called “progress”. We don’t really do a lot of chains/fast food stuff, but if we’re out and about, we will sometimes stop at McD’s or whatever. BUT, I HATE doing the drive-thru thing as I am NOT going to eat a dripping ass burger while driving or sitting in the frigging parking lot. I’ll sit my ass down in the dining area where I can be comfortable, enjoy the extra space, the a/c and if I need a drink refill or more ketchup (catsup?), it’s right there and available.

I also don’t do the Uber, Door-Dash, or whatever other delivery services are out there. Who wants to pay delivery fees to receive a cold frigging burger and cold, limp fries? I also don’t want to hit the drive-thru and take a meal home, only to find out you dragged home a cold fish sandwich, instead of the burger you ordered! We do have a McD’s two blocks from our house, so we have been known to break the “no take-out” rule from time to time.

Now, yesterday, we were out doing some shopping and since we had a couple of free McD’s burgers on our phone apps, we decided to stop in and have a quick lunch. I mentioned the McD’s next to our house, but we’re actually between two of them. The second one is over toward the more commercial side of town, but still only about 2 miles from the house.

As I pulled in the lot, I noticed something odd about the sign. It didn’t say “McDonalds”, it now says “McDelivery”! WTF? We then noticed they had a drive-thru, but the parking spaces were marked “pick-up only”. THEN I realized the dining room was closed! This particular McD’s is in front of a small shopping center and always very busy, so I parked in the main lot just to snap a pic of the sign. Have any of youse dufes seen this lately?

I guess it’s “progress”, but they won’t be seeing my business anymore, because I’m just an old curmudgeon who’s resistant to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk