Thread: Time flies

Time flies

22 years ago, I arrived home in the wee hours on the morning of 9/11 .... after returning from a trip to Canada for a bit of walleye fishing. I was there with a group of ne’er do wells from some obscure internet site on the dark web. Once I arrived home from the Tampa airport, it was just a matter of hours before the whole world, as I knew it, changed drastically.

As it turned out, ol’ T-Dub and Marg almost ended up with a long-term visitor. No flights out, no rental cars, no busses … heck, it wouldn't have mattered, the border was closed anyway! Luckily, the rest of the group had earlier flights out. As dark as that day was anyway, it would have been even darker for a couple of Canuckian households if that infamous date had been one day earlier.

If it had been, the rest of the crew and myself would have been temporary residents of Canuckia. I’m sure there would have been a vote among the group to force Bucky on the Johnboy household and us normal people would have occupied the Whisky-Jack basement. Then again, upon second thought, I may have pulled rank and volunteered to replace Buckrub since that would have been more acceptable to John and Bev, as John and I were the only non-smokers in the group.

As far as Marg agreeing to take in all those other losers, I have a feeling they’d have ended up camping out back, next to the Dubber’s worm farm. There’s no way in Hell she’d have put up with all those Yankee renegades walking on her brand new kitchen linoleum.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    We'd have looked after you as long as it took, Jimmy. There is a documentary film called "Come From Away" that covers the response of the people of the tiny town of Gander, Nfld when 38 aircraft with 7k people on board were forced to land at their airport. Worth the watch.

Jim, I think you and I figured out we may have been on the same flight with some of those fuckers from Edmonton to MPLS didn’t we?
    BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Man, at my “advanced age”, I get those trips a little confused at times. (I think I made 3 trips?) I know on the first trip, I met up with you and The Supreme Dufus in Minneapolis, then on to Edmonton. Can’t remember if Bucky made that trip or not. I think that may be the trip I stayed behind an extra day after everybody left, then TW and I drove the beer cart around the golf course (HUGE mistake btw!) for a tournament Dubber’s company sponsored. On the Sept. trip, you and I may have left Edmonton together on 9/10, then took separate flights out of Minneapolis. With my flight time and the time zone change, I got back after midnight. I usually fly Delta, (they partner with Air Canada), so there’s a big possibility I went from Minneapolis to Atlanta, then connected for Florida. My memory sucks. About all I remember is, when the news of the WTC strike hit the tube, I'd only been in bed for a couple of hours. I think I binge-watched tv for about 3 days before finally collapsing.

I also remember being so pissed off, I actually contacted a recruiter to see if I could go back into the military, but was told I was too old. I have no clue how I would have pulled that off, but I was so pissed at the time, I didn’t bother thinking it through.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I only went on the trip to Lesser Slave with John and Terry, Bucky, and you. I’m amazed that you don’t remember the Fred Flintstone sized bone pile you left at that wing place. I know its etched in my memory! I had to look over the top of it to see little bitty you.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!