Thread: Ummmmmm .... okaaaaay

Ummmmmm .... okaaaaay

I have a jar of quarters I used to keep in the motorhome for doing laundry at various campgrounds while traveling. Now that the motorhome is history and has been checked off my bucket list, I have all these quarters to cash in. We do NOT carry cash and use credit cards for virtually everything (love the flyer miles). Our bank (Chase) has shut down the local branch that was 2 blocks from my house which had easy ingress/egress. The next closest branch is about a 10-15 min. drive and is in the most asinine location you could think of. I asked the teller once why the f... they closed the other location and funneled everyone to this particular hellhole and was told everyone banks on-line now (as I do also) and the other branch was leased, while this one is company owned. It makes sense, except for the fact this current branch is a cluster-fuck due to the lot lay-out and a Chick-fil-a next door that always has a backed up drive-thru lane. The bank actually had to close it's drive-thru service because it caused total gridlock ... IF you could even get to the drive-thru lane, you couldn't get back out and anyone behind you was caught in the middle. It's the dumbest lot lay-out I've ever seen and must have been designed by a 6th grade flunky.

But I digress .... I decided to roll a few of the quarters and take them to the grocery store (smaller National chain) with Lynn yesterday. I had some $10 paper sleeves and rolled $10 worth, then stuck them in my pocket. I'm sure I counted and recounted them as I laid them out to roll, then counted them as I prepared to actually place them into the sleeve and seal it up. We went through check-out and I asked the cashier if I could exchange the coins for a $10 bill and she said sure. She then left the register and went into the office area of the store. She returned and handed me $9.25 and informed me the roll was $0.75 short! Ok, although I was 99.99999% sure I counted accurately and the roll LOOKED complete, I'll admit there "might" be a possibility I could have unknowingly dropped a quarter while rolling them ... but THREE? Anyway, what could I do? She left with the roll, disappeared into the office (out of sight), then returned. I wasn't going to make a scene over $0.75, but I did question her. TBH, I was a bit embarrassed ... like I'd been caught trying to pull a fast one. When I questioned the count, she informed me they don't count the rolls, they weigh them ... and mine was short by $0.75!

I just shook my head, apologized for the unintentional "mistake" and left the store. What'cha think? Any idea if this is the norm these days (weighing)? I assumed they'd have a coin counting machine. It's been bugging me only due to the principle of the situation. If it came up short, wouldn't you think someone would have done a physical count to verify? (40 quarters is an easy count) I don't know, it's just a bit irritating for some reason, but I'm moving on.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Thumper’s version of bitcoin investing, hahaha…

Our grocery stores have change counting machines that even spit out the odd loonie or pesos thatfind their way into you change jar.

Soeaking of, I still have one (change jar) but it doesn’t get used much any more. The only place I use cash is the weed store!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    My grandkids are still small enough to think that change is big money so we use it to pay them for little chores when they come to visit
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

We were at a restaurant for lunch yesterday and when we went to pay the tab, we found out they take cash only. (We didn’t notice the little sign at the register when we entered) Lynn had three $1 bills hidden in her wallet (for “emergencies) and I keep a $50 bill stashed in mine. I don’t think I’ve removed that bill in probably 10 years. Generally, if I go someplace that’s “cash only”, I take my business elsewhere. It’s just a “thing” with me. Yesterday I told the waitress she was great (tipped her with cash) and we really enjoyed the food, but told her it was our first and last time there (and told her the reason). I refuse to even go to a gas station that has two prices for a cash/credit option. We DO carry cash when traveling, especially overseas, as it’s a no-brainer in unfamiliar territory, but it bugs the shit out’ta me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I used to keep a $20 in my billfold but my wife was constantly needing money for this or that so I just quit carrying any. Don't have a nickel in cash on me
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Not sure what to say on this Thumper, but I would ask for the roll back in order to verify.

Also not sure how they can only rely on the weight of the roll given the composition of coins has changed throughout the years which I assume means each concoction would have a slightly different weight.

You got screwed.