Thread: Ummm .... okaaaay ....

Ummm .... okaaaay ....

My "uniform" is shorts, flip-flops and a t-shirt (never owned or worn a sleeveless t-shirt in my life btw). If I go semi-formal, I'll swap the t-shirt for a button-down Hawaiian shirt ... full-formal and I'll swap the shorts and flip-flops for jeans and tennis shoes.

When it comes to shoes, I wear flip-flops 99% of the time .. heck, I'll wear the dang things to dinner if it's an informal place (BBQ, burgers, sports bar, etc). My normal go-to flip-flop is TEVA (I used to skydive in TEVA sandals), but I'm in the market for a new pair and thought I'd shop the competition a bit and maybe change things up. I've been looking at the REEF brand and am about to pull the trigger. In my search, I ran across the Reef Fanning model (which I like) and noticed they have a built in bottle opener in the sole! Now, "back in the day", I carried a bottle opener on my keychain and used it constantly. The fact I used to spend at least 2 weekends/month in Mexico eating homemade tamales and drinking Coronas on the beach may have had something to do with it, but these days, I can't remember the last time I needed a bottle opener. What'cha think? Gimmicky or awesome?

bottle opener.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Never tried that brand. My favorite flip flops are Sanuks. Have about three pairs of them. I upgrade to my leather sanuks forformal wear.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I’ve got a pair of those. Comes in handy in a pinch. But, honestly the opener doesn’t get much use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Never tried that brand. My favorite flip flops are Sanuks. Have about three pairs of them. I upgrade to my leather sanuks for formal wear. BKB
    Ha! I didn't mention them, but I'm actually flip-flopping (no pun intended) between the Sanuks and the Reef brand. I remember when I started shopping around, the Sanuk brand jumped out at me because in Thai, the word sanuk means "having fun" ... a good time or enjoying yourself. I was curious and looked up the brand, then found this ...

Founded by Southern California native Jeff Kelley, Sanuk® provides creatively inspired yet distinctively designed flip flops and shoes for the global outdoor community. Taking its name from the Thai word for fun, Sanuk strives to make innovative products that are as much about funk as they are about function.

See, you probably just learned something new!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    I’ve got a pair of those. Comes in handy in a pinch. But, honestly the opener doesn’t get much use.
    That's pretty much how I thought about it CD. As I said, I can't remember that last time I needed a bottle opener, but it would be kind'a cool knowing I always had one "just in case". Ha! Like the one I always kept on my keychain back in the day ... that thing got a real workout!

How do you like the Reefs? Are they durable enough for daily wear?

Same question for you P-hole. I assume durability is a factor that makes you like them. Yes? I've tried the leather ones before (different brand), but man-o-man, they'd stink to high heaven after a while. Lynn would pick them up and throw them out the front door onto the porch ... the whole time holding her nose!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I’m not a flip-flop guy, but spending my whole life around lakes I do wear a lot of sandals and other types of “water” shows. I really like Olukai. They have a lot of varieties and even some that are “dressy”.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Yeah Deppity, I also have 3-4 pairs of sandals, but they are also Teva's. When I was skydiving, all the hotdog skydivers wore Teva's and I fell into the ranks. They're pretty much indestructible. That's actually how I ended up wearing Teva flip-flops, but that's been a LOT of years and I just thought I'd break the mold and look around before buying my next pair. I have all my sandals in the closet (along with 3-4 pairs of well-worn flip-flops), but very seldom wear them anymore.

That said, I did look at the Olukai line-up, but you must be grossly overpaid or sumpin' ... those suckers are a bit on the pricey side for me.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    You know the old expression "when hell freezes over and the devil has icicles in his beard"? That's flipflops or sandals being on my feet
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

That’s ‘cause you’re just a redneck old curmudgeon.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    They are a bit pricey but they are durable. I used to go through a pair of Keen’s a summer and figured that I ended up spending about the same with the longer use I get out of the Olukai’s.

It was the same thing with the boots I wore on duty. I would wear Danner’s but they were extremely durable and could be resoled when needed. I had a Sheriff once that complained about the cost and wanted to buyRockys for a third of the cost. He finally realized that he was replacing those every year so in the long run the Danners were cheaper.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

I have a pair of Danner elk hunters with a buttload of thinsulate in them. Had them at least 25 years and I’ll never wear them out in my lifetime. I tend to go with lighter chuka style boots these days with zero insulation when I’m out and about.

Jim, most of the sanuk modelsI get have the beer coozy footbed. I’ve wore out more flip flops than Zonker and those are by far the most comfortable footwear in the known universe. They last okay. But they are flip flops.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I’ve got two pair, Jim. No complaints. I wear them pretty much whenever I’m not at work during the warm months.

Before you take fashion advice from CD, be advised he wears crocs quite often.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And, sometimes socks…

That reminds me, where’s Arty? I’d like to know what he suggests. I figure whatever recommendation comes from a guy who wears spandex and nipple pads, I’d know what NOT to buy!