Thread: You've got to be shitting me!

You've got to be shitting me!

1) We're flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Atlanta, then on to Rome next week. Now I'm receiving notices that flights might be totally FUBAR due to the possible government shutdown! We're being told to show up waaaay early to clear security for the International flight because they have no idea how many TSA agents are going to show up for work. Ok, the stress level is up just a bit! (we're flying out on Thanksgiving Day)

Thanksgiving shutdown sets up nightmare scenario for travels

https://thehill.com/business/4297992...-faa-airports/

2) That get's us onto our trans-Atlantic flight (hopefully), but now we get word there's a frigging volcano ready to blow it's top in the next few days in Iceland, and if that puppy lets loose, it could affect trans-Atlantic flights causing a multitude of cancelled flights. The last time it happened, 100,000 flights from N. America to Europe were cancelled!

Iceland volcano eruption could lead to thousands of canceled flights

https://www.newscentermaine.com/arti...%20earthquakes.

3) Ok, we're to fly to Rome, then pick up the train at the Rome airport to take us to City Center .... about a 35-40 minute train ride. Now we just received notice the train workers are going on strike!

Europe's travel strikes: Flight and train disruption you can expect in November

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023...pect-in-august

4) No prob, maybe we'll just take the bus, or a cab ,,,

Unionized workers call for transport and public sector strikes in the Central Regions of Italy, Nov. 17; transport disruptions likely.

https://crisis24.garda.com/alerts/20...l-italy-nov-17

5) Well, dammit! We have a hotel booked for a couple days in Rome ... IF we can make it to the hotel. I hope we don't find the frigging hotel workers on strike! We have a bus reservation to take us from the hotel to the ship on cruise day, I hope they're not part of the transportation worker's strike (I think they're a private tour company, if that makes a difference)

Alright, assuming we dodge all those frigging landmines, we will hopefully make it aboard the ship ... IF the dang dock workers don't go on strike! But, we
    are supposed to sail out of Rome to Spain where we'll have a couple of ports to visit. There was a strike in Spain a few weeks ago and I'm afraid to even research it to see if that mess is overwith yet.

Unionized workers to strike and demonstrate across Basque Country, Spain, Oct. 25. Increased security, transport disruptions likely.

6) Alright, we have stops in Italy, then Spain/Portugal, then move on to the Azores where we have a couple more stops. Guess what? There is a maritime pilot strike in the port we're supposed to visit! A Princess cruise just had to bypass the port and move on due to no harbor pilot available!

Pilot Strike Causes Princess Ship to Cancel Port at Last Minute

"A maritime pilot strike has caused Princess Cruises’ Sky Princess to miss her scheduled visit to Ponta Delgada in the Azores, even though the ship was within sight of the island when the decision was made."

https://www.cruisehive.com/pilot-str...yoeUcQtzn3wzos

WTF over???? Is "someone" trying to tell us something? Is the whole frigging world going insane?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    We got caught up in one of the railroad workers strikes when we were in Europe several years ago. We had a flight from Paris back home, but we had to take the train from Venice , where we had taken a cruise from, to Paris and since it's an overnight train ride we could not go at a later time. Luckily, the ticket guy at the train station in Venice told us that the strike was going to happen and made sure we caught an earlier train. We then had to made all new connections to Paris because instead of a straight through trip to Paris, we had to make connections in Padua and Bolonga. It was nerve wracking to say the least, but we did make it.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    How many red flags do you need Thump...just say'n...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    In my line of work, we call that a “clue”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

A little late to do anything about it. Everything’s paid for and we leave in 7 days. All I can do at this point is cross my fingers.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Seems to me like you are worried about nothing...{GULP}