Thread: Beans, fried taters, and cornbread

Beans, fried taters, and cornbread

Its on at my house in about 20 minutes. Come on over. There's enough for a crew. My wife tells me my Poteau accent gets thicker when I cook this meal. Whatever. I don't imagine people from MissourA have an accent. Except for that E they put on the end of it.

Anyway, its what's for dinner. When I was a kid I could eat a Jethro Bodine sized plateful of this stuff. Its Amurican food"

BKB

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Tell me you've got onions and sweet tea to go with it.

Spiritual food.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Absolutely!
    BKB

I'm gettin' a bad case of gas just reading your bean post.
    Southern Gentleman

So... how do you cook your beans and taters? My Mom used to make pinto beans for dinner with a ham hock. Soaked 'em overnight, drain, fill with water, throw ham hock in slow cooker, cook all day, eat. We'd have cornbread with 'em but never fried taters.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Can't eat the beans.........took 42 years to figure out that was/is a major diverticulitis agent. But I'd kill twelve large humanoids for hot buttered cornbread. Fried taters.........man.....just a tad crunchy, a tad greasy.....

Oh my.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Len, I don't soak mine, probably should but I cook them low and slow so no need to soak that I ever noticed. I just put a whole unpeeled onion in the pot with 'em (to de-gaus them), a smoked ham hock or a couple pieces of smoked bacon, NO salt or pepper (there's enough salt in the pork) and cook 'em on simmer for a few hours and they're ready. I do slice up a couple carrots in navy beans like I made yesterday. Seems to add some flavor. Fried taters is just fried taters. Like Bucky said, a little crispy, a little greasy. Makes for a good supper. and lunch, and snack, for a few days afterward.

Bucky, one of the other things I grew up with is putting a piece of cornbread in a glass and filling it up with milk and eating it with a spoon just like cereal. Only its more better. You can go dig a few postholes after a glass of cornbread and milk.
    BKB

Weeat that same meal on a regular basis. including sweet tea. Ilike a dab of horseradish in my beans and /or a healthy glub of hotsauce. cornbread: mmmmmmmmm.

Yep, just as long as it's buttermilk with the cornbread....normally, I loathe sweet milk....except, I WILL take it with cereal and hot cinnamon buns.
    Southern Gentleman

Phole, you dun inspired me....been raining here, off-n-on, all morning, and can't get outside.

Think I'll crank up the crock pot, and load it with some great northern white beans, salt pork, onions, and new potatoes.

Guess I need to just go ahead, and take some of those Gas-X pills, NOW, as a precaution!!!
    Southern Gentleman

I'm telling you, if you'll put a whole unpeeled onion in there from the beginning it'll take most of the gas out of those beans. My Mom taught me that trick and I've been doing it a long, long time.

BKB