Thread: Trip Report

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

Trip Report

I know most of you forgot what those are so...look it up.

Anyway, 2 years ago EHD hit the whitetails in the western half of the state and flat out killed of MOST of the population. Because of that and due to not being able to draw a buck OR a doe tag back at the farm, I haven't even bother to rifle hunt so as to give them a chance to bounce back a bit.

There are a few more around and I had a read NEED to get afield again with a deer rifle in hand, so last Sunday afternoon I hit some public access ground to scout/hunt in preparation for a planned day off on Tuesday. Tuesday rolled around and I tried even more public access places with not a SINGLE deer sighting. I ended up at the ranch I typically hunt and was granted permission to hunt that afternoon so mid-afternoon I picked a tree to sit against to await to see if anything showed up. As usual after 10 minutes I started second-guessing where I chose to sit and decided to move 40 yards to my right. As I turned to stand up here is a doe wondering what the hell I am and why I'm hiding along the field edge. Sadly for her she waiting a wee bit too long trying to figure out what I was and she now resides in my freezer waiting to be turned into jerky and venison bacon. :-)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Glad you made it out and got meat in the freezer. Our season opened on the 18th but I haven’t had any luck. I’m seeing a lot of yearlings and a little 4 point. According to my trail cam, all of the big deer, including a nice 8 point only move through between 9:30 PM and 5:30 AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Sounds like a successful hunt!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Wait. Venison bacon? Give up some info on this. like real, cured bacon?

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

DD - hopefully they start moving during shooting hours and good luck finding a critter to your liking.

Posthole - not the type of bacon you are thinking of. The venison is ground, blended into a 50/50 venison/pork mixture along with the appropriate "venison bacon" seasoning added courtesy of Curley's Seasoning, put into an aluminum pan to the depth of a slice of normal bacon, placed in the fridge for a time, and then smoked until done. After smoking we slice it up nice and thin. It can be "cooked" again, but we usually just eat it as is most of the time.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I’m going to keep trying. I’ve got the next two days off work plus this weekend yet so I’m going to keep trying.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Birddog told me today he has too fat does in the freezer and he’s done for the year.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Let the meat making commence.