Thread: Are you f'ing kidding me? (long ... sorry)

Are you f'ing kidding me? (long ... sorry)

I'm assuming the term "undocumented immigrants" is the Liberal's p/c term for "illegal aliens"? I have two buddies (we served in the military together) who were born and raised in N. California. Their families range back to 4 or 5 generations in California. BOTH of them have recently moved out of state (one to Nevada and one to Texas). They said it's gotten so bad, they just couldn't take it any longer. As a side note, about 20 years ago, Lynn's company sold out and the corporate offices moved to Wisconsin. She kicked around for a few months in job hunting mode, then landed a job she liked. It took 90-days for her health insurance to kick in, but she was healthy, had no medical issues, had never, once been admitted to a hospital, plus we were stretched financially since she hadn't been working. You guessed it, it was something like 8 days before her company insurance kicked in and she had some sort of medical episode at work. They called, I picked her up and took her to the ER. They determined her blood pressure was off the charts and started administering various drugs to get her b/p down (she'd never had a problem before). They couldn't get her b/p down low enough, but did manage to get it stabilized and admitted her. They finally found a med that worked and released her after 3 days .... no surgery, just tests. Afterwards, we received an $87,000 hospital bill!!! I went into panic mode and tried to find some sort of financial help. I found a program that helped low income people with things like that and we went in for an interview. This is what we were told:

She would qualify if she were a minority!!!!

Let that one sink in. She's JAPANESE! I looked up the (current at that time) demographics for our city and we were 21.3% black, 6.4% Hispanic and 1.3% Asian (ALL Asians rolled into that percentage). Whether it makes a difference or not, our interviewer happened to be black, so take that for what it's worth. I protested without getting personal or nasty, but it fell on deaf ears. I took out a second mortgage (LOC) on the house and finally paid that loan off in 2019. Sorry, I got off on a tangent, but it's related. Here's what my rant is based on .....

California becomes first state to offer health insurance to all undocumented immigrants

California will welcome the new year by becoming the first state to offer health insurance for all undocumented immigrants.

Starting Jan. 1, all undocumented immigrants, regardless of age, will qualify for Medi-Cal, California's version of the federal Medicaid program for people with low incomes.

Previously, undocumented immigrants were not qualified to receive comprehensive health insurance but were allowed to receive emergency and pregnancy-related services under Medi-Cal as long as they met eligibility requirements, including income limits and California residency in 2014.

In 2015, undocumented children were able to join Medi-Cal under a bill signed by then-Gov. Jerry Brown. In 2019, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed into law an expansion of full-scope Medi-Cal access for young adults ages 19 through 25, regardless of citizenship or immigration status. Access was then further expanded to allow older adults aged 50 and older to receive full benefits, also regardless of immigration status.

The final expansion going into effect Jan. 1 will make approximately 700,000 undocumented residents between ages 26 and 49 eligible for full coverage, according to California State Sen. María Elena Durazo.

"This historic investment speaks to California's commitment to health care as a human right," Durazo said in a statement in May.

“In California, we believe everyone deserves access to quality, affordable health care coverage – regardless of income or immigration status,” Gov. Newsom’s office said in response to an ABC News request for comment. “Through this expansion, we’re making sure families and communities across California are healthier, stronger, and able to get the care they need when they need it.”

California's plan to expand coverage has not been without its detractors. The California Senate Republican Caucus criticized the move in an analysis of the 2022-23 governor's budget.

"Medi-Cal is already strained by serving 14.6 million Californians – more than a third of the state's population. Adding 764,000 more individuals to the system will certainly exacerbate current provider access problems," the caucus wrote last year.

However, studies have shown that undocumented immigrants use fewer healthcare resources than do non-immigrants.

About 50% of undocumented immigrant adults in America report being uninsured, compared to just 8% of U.S.-born citizens, according to the health policy research nonprofit KFF, due to undocumented adults being more likely work jobs that don't provide health benefits, as well as facing eligibility restrictions for federal programs.

Additionally, undocumented immigrants who are eligible may face other barriers, including confusion about eligibility, language challenges and fear, KFF said.

This is despite low-income undocumented immigrants in California being about as likely as those currently enrolled in Medi-Cal to have at least one chronic condition, according to research conducted by the Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC), a nonprofit research institution.

Undocumented immigrants are also about as likely to receive preventive services, such as the flu shot, and older undocumented immigrants are about as likely to receive age-appropriate health services such as cancer screenings and the shingles vaccine, at rates similar to Medi-Cal patients, the PPIC found.

The California Health and Human Services Agency has committed $835.6 million in 2023-24 and $2.6 billion annually thereafter to expand full-scope Medi-Cal eligibility to all income-eligible adults, regardless of immigration status.

When California expanded health care coverage in 2019 to include undocumented young adults, then-President Donald Trump blasted the plan, calling it "very unfair to our citizens."
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    I have no words...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    "It's all going down man..." - Tyler Durden

This is the end stage. Where our managers get crazier and crazier trying to cling to power and position. Best not let your blood pressure get too high over it. Nothing is going to stop this train at this point.

Spring will be here in a couple months, the fish will be biting. The ramps will be coming up. Spring training will be back before you know it.

"It is a poor thing to fear that which is inevitable." - Tertullion

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Every society has a lunatic fringe and when you put them in a position of power you get where we are today. It's nobody's fault and it's everybody's fault. All we can do is hope common sense will eventually prevail.
    Last edited by quercus alba; 01-05-2024 at 09:24 AM.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I guess, to break it down, THIS is the part that baffles me.

Previously, undocumented immigrants were not qualified to receive comprehensive health insurance but were allowed to receive emergency and pregnancy-related services under Medi-Cal as long as they met eligibility requirements, including income limits and California residency in 2014. In 2015, undocumented children were able to join Medi-Cal under a bill signed by then-Gov. Jerry Brown. In 2019, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed into law an expansion of full-scope Medi-Cal access for young adults ages 19 through 25, regardless of citizenship or immigration status. Access was then further expanded to allow older adults aged 50 and older to receive full benefits, also regardless of immigration status. The final expansion going into effect Jan. 1 will make approximately 700,000 undocumented residents between ages 26 and 49 eligible for full coverage.

What part of the word "undocumented" does not really mean "illegal"? I looked it up and tried to figure it out. Here's the explanation of the difference between using the term "illegal" instead of "undocumented" that I was able to find on some site full of legal mumbo-jumbo.

Regarding using the word "illegal":

"It is legally misleading because it connotes criminality, while presence in the U.S. without proper documents is a civil offense, not a criminal one."

Ok. I think I understand now .... ? So, does that mean it's kind'a like the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony??? So, going by this assumption, I'm guessing the misdemeanors like assault and battery, shoplifting, DUI, vandalism, perjury, burglary, gun possession violations, etc. etc. etc. aren't really ILLEGAL actions, so we should just ignore them. Or am I still confused?

Let me help you out here Jimmy. A little nugget of wisdom:

“The purpose of a system is what it does” - Stafford Beer

Once I had that under my belt the whole picture came into focus. Doesn't mean everyone in those systems is malignant or approves of the purpose, hell some of them aren't even aware of it. And knowing the purpose doesn't fully explain the motivations of those who guide the system. But it does get one past the seeming puzzling senility of our current crop of leaders.

The endless failed military adventures, the unbelievably rigged economy, the obvious open air grifting and kickbacks, the failures at every turn from the medical, academic, and policy making institutions... You name it. It all is doing what it is supposed to do.

It just isn't in our best interests. But it isn't supposed to.... But it is in the best interest of those who call the shots.

Will

Thanks Willy. Now my head hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have that problem too.

Can't let it get you down buddy. The times are what they are and we just have to adjust. We've passed the event horizon, imho, and I have come to terms with the lunacy that I see happening around me. The people who make those decisions don't care what I think. Don't care what a whole lot of us think. MOF some of this stuff is done just to show people like me that they can do it and there is nothing we can do about it. Period.

So I don't worry about it.

Winter has set in and I am contemplating the pruning that my grapes and orchard need. Going to reorder the garden with a few more raised beds this year. Thinking about getting a tractor and building a barn in preparation for bringing in some livestock in the next year or two. Fence needs a lot of work. Going to build a deck this summer and put in a hot tub.... These are things I devote time to thinking about. Sanity demands that I don't waste time on things I cannot impact.... which is a lot of stuff!

Will