LOS ANGELES - Beginning Jan. 1, 2024, certain California retail stores will face fines for failing to offer "gender-neutral" toy sections.

Assembly Bill 1084 invokes a 1959 California civil rights law that prohibits businesses from discriminating against consumers of a protected class - in this case, gender identity.

The law applies to retail stores with more than 500 employees, so big-box stores like Walmart and Target will be subject to the law.

Under the law, retailers can still have aisles labeled for boys or girls, but the stores will be required to create a gender-neutral toy section on the same floor to display "a reasonable selection" of items "regardless of whether they have been traditionally marketed for either girls or for boys."

I'm not really sure what a gender-neutral toy would be. Board games maybe? WTF?

I suppose it may spread to other parts of the stores. I mean, where does it stop? You want to by a shirt, so you head to the store and look for the men's clothes section. You'll have to ignore the women's clothes section and walk past the "whatever the fuck you are" section to get there.