Thread: Seen the radar?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar

Seen the radar?

I'm sitting here at 3000 feet watching this blistering wind bend the trees across the mountain side. Decide I'll take a look at the radar.... Rain and 30+ mph winds all day.

And a rain system that pretty much covers the eastern half of the nation. A line of thunderstorms from the WV-Ohio border to the gulf east of Mexico City. Damn! Looks like something out of Day After Tomorrow.

Hope the power doesn't go out. 😊

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    The weather is definitely gonna be a bit sporty out there today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Yuck! Batten down the hatches Willie, it looks like a good time to get some reading in. Although it's calm here right now, the forecast looks similar to yours.

Tue 09 , High 80° , Rain Chance 100% , Winds S, 23 mph

Mostly cloudy and windy with showers developing this afternoon. A thunderstorm or two is possible. Storms could contain damaging winds. High near 80F. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 100%.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Seems like I stay cold all the time. I suggested getting a young virgin to keep me warm like King David did in the bible but Mrs Q wasn't real keen on that notion. She dug a heavy jacket out of the closet and gave it to me instead.

Woman has no heart, I don't know what I ever saw in her
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Young virgin? Where the heck would you find one of those these days? Hangin' around the local grade school?

We're just the opposite. Lynn's teeth start chattering once the temps drop below 80. By the mid-70's, she'll be dressed like an Eskimo in a dogsled race. Me, my year-'round wardrobe is shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops. I MIGHT slip on a long pair of pants if people start making fun of me for walking around with icicles hanging out of my nose. BUT ... it's just cool temperatures I like and have NO love at all for daily cold weather, ice, snow, sleet, mud and dreary, cloudy skies. I loved cold weather while deer hunting, but that was generally just a week or two, then I get to head back home where "normal" (I know, that's a stretch) people live. TBH, I'm not sure I even own a coat that fits.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Speaking of power outages, has anyone thought about whole-home generators???.....out here in the boondocks, we lose power quite frequently, sometimes for many hours, and sometimes several days, during ice storms or tornadoes.....we are really looking hard at making the investment.....
    Kohler has a free transfer switch promotion($850 value)available on the purchase of their 26KW unit.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 01-09-2024 at 11:10 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Dang Mudward, great to see you checking in here. TBH, I have no experience with them or even know anybody who has one. I know Cappy had one (I believe, on BOTH houses). He never had anything bad to say about them, that I’m aware of, but I also don’t know if he ever needed them. I could ask that Hammerhead kid of his if he has any input.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    If he had one of the newer model buddy heaters he could generate his own power in an outage......for a couple of minutes anyway
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Generac is what I see mostly around here, but I don’t have one and know nothing about them. We’ll be moving this year and I will give them all a serious look then. The questions I have is propane, nat gas, diesel? There’s good and bads for each.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Same here Posty. I'm intrigued... But poor. 😊

Took Jim's advice and reading today and it looks set to turn into snow tonight. Tomorrow's run ought to be a real joyful experience.

Cold doesn't bother me when I'm exercising. But I admit to getting chilled pretty bad deer hunting this year. Getting old. 😊

P-hole, while camping, I saw quite a few large, portable generators that were “tri-fuel” and would run on all of those. I don’t know, but would assume they may have the same for whole house generators. I’ve never paid much attention to them.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I don’t have one but a lot of people around here do, mostly Generacs. My old landlord, who lives out in the boonies has one the is propane powered. They used to be dairy farmers so they had the big propane tank already on the property for heat and farm use. It has been no issue for them and they have benefited from it on several occasions when either ice storms or a tornado took out the power in the area.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Speaking of power outages, has anyone thought about whole-home generators???.....out here in the boondocks, we lose power quite frequently, sometimes for many hours, and sometimes several days, during ice storms or tornadoes.....we are really looking hard at making the investment.....
    Kohler has a free transfer switch promotion($850 value)available on the purchase of their 26KW unit.
    I have a 24Kw with a transfer switch. It's really nice when the power goes out and runs everything. I sign up for a maintenance / monitoring plan since we're not at the house half the year, but I think maintenance yourself would be fairly easy. One thing I was told is to check the oil if they run very often, the tend to use oil pretty bad.

One thing along those lines that we’ll make sure of in our next place is underground utilities. I know that’s not a choice if you live out in the country but its worth it if you live in a subdivision. In 25 years of living in this house, we’ve had two big ice storms and numerous high winds and storm situations and not had a power out over an hour the whole time. It makes a huge difference.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And I most definitely knocked on wood before I posted that!
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I can't remember the year of the ice storm but when we lived out North West of Owasso (close to Stone Canyon) we were out for 2-weeks. That's when I decided I'd have a generator in my next home. My neighbor had one. We had no lights, no heat, and he was running his Christmas lights.

I’m seeing more and more of them around here and my Mrs has been agitating
    for one. But, I don’t plan on being in this house long enough to make it worthwhile. If I lived out in the bookies, which is the plan for the next house, I’d definitely have one.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    I've had a Generac for about 5 years, 9KW, runs off my Natural Gas. Good friend of mine is a electrician, advised me to stay away from the 24KW whole house unit, said you really don't need one. When was the last time every electrical devise in the house was running at the same time.
    My 9KW runs my well, furnace, refrigerator, freezer, fireplace, kitchen appliances, family room lights and TV, bedroom lights and Tv , my office and computers. I've never had all of them running at the same time, so 9KW is really sort of over kill.
    My main concern was power lose in the winter, no heat, plumbing freezes and a dark cold house. Didn't bother hooking it up to the AC, we plug in the fans the few days we've been without. A generator is nothing more than an Insurance Policy, it sits idle about 90% of the time, but the few times you need it, it sure is nice, envy of the subdivision when the light do go out.
    Last edited by jb; 01-09-2024 at 01:50 PM.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    One thing along those lines that we’ll make sure of in our next place is underground utilities. I know that’s not a choice if you live out in the country but its worth it if you live in a subdivision. In 25 years of living in this house, we’ve had two big ice storms and numerous high winds and storm situations and not had a power out over an hour the whole time. It makes a huge difference.
    BKB
    It's definitely nice when you have everything underground. My current house has everything buried, but in the old farmhouse we rented when we were first married we had a big storm go through and knock out the electric service line to the house. We were several days without power because since we weren't a priority, they were fixing the outages with multiple customers first.

It's nice to know that now when my power goes out, there are several others out in the area as well so we get a much quicker response.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Well, we bit the bullet, and had the Kohler 26 KW installed by a local company who has installed hundreds of Kohler home generators around here.....it's dual-fuel, propane or gasoline, and we opted for the propane because I've got plenty of big propane tanks, and propane doesn't get stale, sitting in a tank, like gasoline or diesel will do, and propane is very cheap.
    Diesel was an option, but the generator is thousands of bucks more expensive, and diesel is too expensive and really messy, when changing filters, etc.
    I like the automatic "exercise mode", which can be set to any day and time to exercise the motor for 15 minutes, usually every other week.....our home is all-electric(underground), so to test the system, the technician told me to turn on every appliance and the heating unit at the same time.....he manually kicked in the Kohler, and it never even had to rev up.....so far so good.
    It looks like we might need it, too, with the icy conditions and nearly zero temps they are predicting for us, next week.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 01-11-2024 at 11:25 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Yep, its gonna get colder than a welldigger’s…..Stay warm.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Beautiful day here today. Clear, sunny, cool (around freezing) and windy. We get 2 winter weather patters here usually - wet and warm from the SE and cool and dry from the NW.

They are calling for 6+ inches of snow starting tomorrow with 35 MPH winds then temps with highs in the single digits next week.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    They are calling for 6+ inches of snow starting tomorrow with 35 MPH winds then temps with highs in the single digits next week.

Inner you don’t miss being on patrol during that kind of weather!

Definitely! That and the 90+ degree days in the summer. Kevlar does not breathe.

Julie and I just got all the hoses undone, a load of firewood loaded, unloaded, and stacked, and the pool all ready for thehard part of winter.
    My ignorant dogs tore up a downspout just now from the gutter to an underground drain and dug a big hole around it. must be a possum or a varmint in it. Sonsabitchin Bumpasses! So one more chore.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Rounded in the rosy rectum by the rigid rod of reality.

IMG_2258.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!