This is hard to grasp. Lynn has had some lower back pain for the last few years that gets so bad, she sometimes can't get out of bed without crying out. She's been to Chiropractors and been prescribed muscle relaxers, etc, to no avail. One of her doctors suggested acupuncture and informed her Medicare would take care of it. I'll admit, I thought it was a bunch of hocus-pokus, but I'm about convinced there's really something to this malarky. The doc wants to do 5 treatments (one per week for 5 weeks), then evaluate the results and develop a treatment program from there. He did tell us that sometimes it works, sometimes it partially works and on some, it does nothing at all. He said, for some, it can actually make the pain worse, but it's temporary.

After the first treatment, Lynn's pain went away completely ... immediately. She was so happy, she was dancing around the house! BUT .... a slight pain returned the second day. Nothing at all bad, but she could "feel it". Her second treatment was last Friday and she's been TOTALLY pain free since. She still has 3 treatments to go before her evaluation, but so far, I don't even know if she needs them. I asked the doc if, once her pain is gone, is it permanent, or is it like meds where you have to get non-stop treatments. He said, for some, it's permanent. Others may have long-lasting results, but need to have a follow-up treatment/treatments as needed ... maybe after 6 months, a year ... it depends on the patient. Anyway, so far, Lynn has been totally pain-free for the past 5 days with just 2 out of 5 scheduled appointments. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

Oh, in case you're curious, the pins were left in for 10 minutes during the first treatment and 15 mins. for the second. The first treatment was 10 pins, the second was 12 pins (I have no clue how the following treatments will be handled or what difference the number of pins makes).