Ok. the fact Lynn was going through acupuncture treatments the same time my VA doc asked if I'd consider acupuncture, was a total coincidence. We were discussing my chronic back pain and she asked if I'd ever considered it. After Lynn's success, I said I'd be interested in trying it. I'll have to admit, I have my doubts .... I guess I'm just stubborn. She made an appt, for last month, but I had to call and reschedule since we were in California. My first treatment was scheduled for today. Now mind you, I've had chronic back pain, 24/7 for 15 years (as of this coming November).

I have no idea what the differences are, but Lynn has been through 6-7 (?) treatments so far and after every treatment, her pain is totally gone .... BUT, it starts creeping back after about a week or so. The doc did tell us results often vary, so there's still a chance she might walk out some day and never have to go back. We'll see. Note: Every treatment she's had consisted of 10-12 pins in her left ear.

Now, to my first treatment at the VA today. I ended up with 18 pins, stuck in various places in my toes, feet, shins, thighs, arms and hands. I felt like a human pin cushion! After 15-20 mins, the doc removed the pins and asked me to get up off the gurney and see how I felt. DAMN! I actually sat up, slid around and stood straight up! For the past 15 years, I've had to pretty much roll out of bed and slowly push myself up with my arms. I've also been hunched over like an old man all these years, just looking at my toes, but I stood straight up for the first time in all those years. Percocets, morphine and x-tra strength Tylenol never came close to doing what this first acupuncture treatment did today. So far, I'm still pain free! Granted, I have other back issues that will never go away, but I can deal with them. The doc suggested we give it a couple weeks, then come in for another treatment and an evaluation to determine future treatments (if needed).

I had serious doubts in the beginning, but I think I've been made a believer in this hocus-pokus acupuncture stuff! So far.

As a side note: Our best friend (the Subway guy) is Chinese. He's a bazillionaire and can afford most anything he'd ever want or need. He actually went to China to see a well respected Chinese acupuncturist, paid the big bucks and it did absolutely nothing for him. Zip, zilch. nada! I guess it's a hit or miss sort of thing, like the docs have been telling us, but so far, so good, for Lynn and me.