Thread: Top ten

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

Top ten

+ 1 favorite homemade sandwiches in no particular order.

ham and cheese with mayo, mustard and sliced onion.
    A good burger with all the trimmings. If the juice don't run down both sides of your mouth it don't qualify.
    BLT. One of mankind's finest creations
    A 1/4 lb bacon wrapped chili dog with onions mustard and jalapenos
    open face roast beef with a little spicy mustard drizzled across it
    Bacon and egg croissant
    Fried baloney with mayo
    meatloaf sandwich with mustard
    sloppy Joe
    chopped BBQ beef
    fried Spam with mayo and cheese
    Last edited by quercus alba; 01-16-2024 at 06:44 PM.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    favorite homemade sandwiches in no particular order.

ham and cheese with mayo, mustard and sliced onion.
    A good burger with all the trimmings. If the juice don't run down both sides of your mouth it don't qualify.
    BLT. One of mankind's finest creations
    A 1/4 lb bacon wrapped chili dog with onions mustard and jalapenos
    open face roast beef with a little spicy mustard drizzled across it
    Bacon and egg croissant
    Fried baloney with mayo
    meatloaf sandwich with mustard
    sloppy Joe
    chopped BBQ beef
    DITTO FOR ME, TOO, EXCEPT I MIGHT MOVE THE FRIED BALONEY UP TO #1 !!!
    Southern Gentleman

I can hang with you on most of those. My absolute favorite (not on your list and it can be a bit difficult to find a GOOD one in the south), is a pastrami (heavy on the pastrami) sammich with YELLOW mustard (don't care for hot mustard) and pickles on a hoagie roll (I'm not big on rye). Heck, being born and raised in the south, I had no clue what pastrami was until I got a bit older and started traveling. The good ones were up in Yankeeville and I go crazy with all the choices when in L.A. ... as a matter of fact, we'll be headed that way in a couple of weeks. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I'm with you on the ham and cheese, but with MIRACLE WHIP (MW on ALL my sammiches if I have a choice over Mayo) and maybe/usually pickles (never onion).

I'll hang with you on the GOOD burger and all trimmings also. BUT ... although they're ok, if given a choice, sauteed onion is the way to go for me. Homemade is the best, some mom & pops do a good job, but as far as the major chains, In 'n Out in L.A. wins the toss, hands down, Red Robin (pineapple burger) is my favorite here locally and Whataburger is a good one. If you drag me down to the crap burger chain level, I'll go with Burger King ONLY because of the chargrill flavor. The best burger I've ever had in my life was a tiny burger stand on Sunset Blvd. right at the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood line. It was 1/2 block from where I worked and I ate MANY lunches there. The owner is long gone and there's a new building built on the property.

BLT? What can I say. Nectar of the gods. Hard to go wrong there with good ingredients.

Bacon wrapped chili dog. Yep, but gots ta' be good ingredients. The absolute best frigging hot dog I ever had in my life was in Mexico. I used to spend two weekends a year down there when I raced motorcycles in Baja. I had a guy with a street cart/grill and if I was in Ensenada, I'd drive around town until I found where he was set up. (chili or regular hot dog, I like 'em both)

Yep on the open faced roast beef. No mustard though, just good gravy and soft white bread. Lynn likes hers with a bit of horseradish, but I can't stand the stuff (why I don't like hot mustard).

Bacon and egg croissant? What's NOT good on a croissant? Short Thump story, there was a little bakery in a small village in Vietnam that made the best croissants known to man! My SEAL buddy and I would hit that place around 5:00 am with a pound of butter, park our butts at a small table in front of the bakery, then just have the owner bring them to us 2 at a time as they came out of the oven .... until we cried UNCLE! Remember, the French had been in Vietnam since the late 1800's, so these were TRUE croissants! I asked the baker why they were so good compared to what I'd had in the States and he informed me the yeast used in them was not allowed in the States. He said the proper yeast makes all the difference in the world.

I'm not a big fan of fried baloney ... I'll eat it and have many times, but it's low on my list. In fact, Lynn fried some up for sammies a few weeks ago. Miracle Whip and yellow mustard for me ... or just mustard.

Not crazy about meatloaf. It's just hamburger with bread/cracker or whatever other trash you throw in there as a filler. Don't bother, just give me a good hamburger.

Good Sloppy Joes are great!

Chopped BBQ beef? I'm forced into it if with my BIL in Texas ... but I'm a pork guy. When it comes to pork sammies, chopped. pulled or sliced, I'll take what I can get. Throw on some good coleslaw and GOOD sauce, and I can live off of 'em!

You left out PB&J ... add bacon ... and even an over-easy egg (a bit messy) and I'm in heaven.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

This list is worthless without the classic BLT and fried spam w/gummint cheese sammies. And please lord, don’t zap ‘em because they forgot the PBJ.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Almost forgot; a slab of pickled souse with red-rind cheddar cheese, famous Durkees sauce, and a root beer float.....a famous sammich at the old Country Store Cafe in Lick Skillet, Tenn., back during the late '60's.
    (Btw, it's the birthplace of Buford Pusser.)
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 01-16-2024 at 06:32 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I revised the OP and added fried Spam with mayo and cheese.

Honorable mention: Fried Vienna sausage sandwich, Sausage and egg, PBJ, turkey club, shrimp Po' boy,
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Sorry. Gotta draw the line at potted meat and vienna sausages. Can’t hang there, even if it is fried.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I sure like a baloney and braunschweiger sandwich. BLT is classic and always good. Don't think I saw a Rueben on here yet either.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I’ll throw grilled cheese (bonus points if bacon or tomato are added), Turkey Reuben and bacon, egg and cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Years ago, while working in Hollywood, my buddy and I went to lunch at a new "gourmet" burger place just down the street. They served nothing but hamburgers and the common sides like fries, onion rings, etc. When we walked in, there was a HUGE menu that took up a whole wall behind the counter. It listed every dang burger combination you could imagine. One caught my eye, the PB&J Burger! I made a goofy comment to my buddy and the guy behind the counter (who turned out to be the owner) overheard me. He then told me, if I try it and don't like it, he'll give me anything else on the menu at no charge. Hey, I had nothing to lose, so took him up on his offer. I'll admit, it was one of the best dang burgers I'd ever had and the place became a regular lunch spot after that. I always ordered the PB&J Burger and I think the only other options I ever tried were the PB&J Bacon Burger as well as the PB&J Bacon Cheeseburger! There were jelly options and my very first burger was with grape jelly, but after trying a few more, my favorite became a toss-up of grape or a red chili-apple jelly. My buddy's favorite was some sort of jalapeno jelly.

The old "don't knock it 'til you've tried it" adage sure stood up that day.

Julie ordered a taro burger at a place in Kauai one time. It was the foulest thing I’ve ever tasted. Hawaiians love that stuff. But I’ve found a way I like it.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

We had dim sum with friends a week or so ago. One of the dishes was taro something or other. I thought it was something else and popped one in my mouth. Once I bit into it, I was past the point of no return, so I chewed it up and swallowed it. Ieven sucks when it’s fried. Totally gross imho, but Lynn loves it.

I also fell for the poi in Hawaii. It sucks! I guess taro just isn’t my thing.

I swear, the longer you chew, the bigger it gets.
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I swear, the longer you chew, the bigger it gets.
    Yessir, I think it's the knowledge you're gonna have to swallow it to be polite (as opposed to spitting it out), so you put it off as long as possible, but the longer you wait, the worse it gets. I know I'm in the minority here, but I put raw oysters in the same category. At least they're easier to swallow and you really don't even have to chew.