Houses here are all electric ... I have no gas or fireplace. The main expense is a/c, then throw in water heater, range/oven, lights, etc. My elec. bill usually runs between $200 and $250 during the summer months (June-August) and tapers off from there. It really doesn't help that I like to keep it COLD in the house. In August, Lynn walks around the house wrapped up like an Eskimo in January! The weather has been super nice this winter ... so much so, I about went into shock when I received my electric bill a couple days ago. The bill? $69.53!! Wow, and that includes running the heat (for Lynn) when that cold snap rolled through earlier this month. We've been in this house for 35 years now and it's not what I'd call "energy efficient" ... it's a large 2-story w/original (1970) windows and the attic insulation is total crap (blown-in insulation that got completely FUBAR during a hurricane years ago).

We had a very large (10 foot deep) in-ground pool, but I got tired of all the upkeep in my old age and had the thing drained, busted up, buried and filled in a few years back. Running that 220V pool pump practically non-stop during the summer was eating into the retirement funds, Add maintenance, chemical costs, constant cleaning, etc, it just wasn't something I needed in my life. It was due for some tile and marcite work anyway, so it was time. I wanted to turn it into a catfish pond (just net 'em out when needed), but code enforcement wouldn't let me. They fly around in helicopters and write code violations if they spot a green pool (mosquito abatement).

Anyway, I may frame and hang a copy of this months electric bill to remind me of this windfall!