Thread: Hot Stuff

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

Hot Stuff

I really love the Siracha hot sauce but it's gotten extremely expensive as well as hard to find so I was wondering if you peckerheads I mean pepperheads have a recommendation of anything comparable heat wise that won't break the bank. I don't have access to a supply of Postholes liquid flamethrower so it'd have to be OTC
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Sriracha is okay and I like it, but I’m more of a vinegar based hot sauce guy. The green Tabasco brand is pretty amazing but Louisianna Holds the top spot in that category for me. The category being commerically available. Others in my top five would be cholula, Franks, and Crystals.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I love Sriracha and go through boat loads of the stuff. My last batch, I bought a case at a large Asian market we frequent, but I’m down to a partial bottle and one unopened bottle. I’m not pisitive, but I believe I paid $2.98/28oz. Bottle. I’ve heard about the shortage and crazy prices on the market now, but haven’t worried about it because I figured it would be short-lived, but apparently not.

That said, I just checked Walmart and am totally confused. I have a Walmart+ membership (free through my AmEx) which is like Amazon Prime (free shipping) and they have like four different listings. I used to buy it at Sam’s Club in 2-packs of the 28-oz. bottles, so I just priced them at Walmart. I found one 2-pack @ $13.99, one 2-pack @ $16.96, one 2-pack @ $20.19. WTF? They all appear to be the same product. I don’t know of an alternative with the same flavor profile.

Huy Fong Foods Sriracha Sauce, 2 pk./28 oz. https://www.walmart.com/ip/1846583203

Huy Fong Sriracha Sauce (28 oz., 2 pk.) https://www.walmart.com/ip/851289082

Sriracha Chili Hot Sauce, 28 Ounce Bottle (Pack of 2) - Sriracha - Huy Fong https://www.walmart.com/ip/513158337

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m with you on the vinegar base hot sauce P-hole. I have varying tastes that require different hot sauces. I like Tobasco (standard red) on eggs and tacos for example. Louisanna hot sauce on beans. Lynn makes a kick-ass Thai omelette that i top with a 50/50 mixture of Sriracha and vinegar. I use straight Sriracha with Pho or fried rice. That just a small example and I have a large collection of different sauces I like with different dishes.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I love pepper sauce but never really got into sriracha for whatever reason. I feel your pain tho. It would throw a monkey wrench into my eating habits w/o it.

The sauces like the Louisiana hot sauce, Texas Pete, Cholula, Franks, and Crystals and even Tabasco don't really have any heat to them, more sour than hot. I like something that will bite back, my taste buds aren't terribly sensitive so subtle flavors are lost on me. My son tried a sauce made with ghost peppers and said he thought he was going to die, now I don't want an emergency room visit so I guess I need to research some habanero sauces.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I got a variety pack of Melinda’s hot sauces at Christmas. So far my favorite of that bunch is their garlic habanero sauce. They also make a terrific green jalapeno based hot sauce that is larrupin.

My all time current favorite is some ‘yard to table’ sauce I get from NOVA every year. It’ll light your ass up withsomeawesomefermented flavors! I think some old guy with a helper named Bubba crafts it.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I love a hot spicy BBQ sauce as well. Head Country Habanero is about the best I've tried so far. As a matter of fact, I've got some shredded chicken breast in the crockpot simmering in HCH right now. Gonna have a Hot N Spicy rice bowl for lunch
    Albert Einstein

Haven’t tried that one. I like a little heat but not too much in my bbq sauce. Billy Sims makes some outta this world hot bbq sauce. My go to though is Rufus Teague Made Some Sauce Touch O’ Heat

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I love a hot spicy BBQ sauce as well. Head Country Habanero is about the best I've tried so far. As a matter of fact, I've got some shredded chicken breast in the crockpot simmering in HCH right now. Gonna have a Hot N Spicy rice bowl for lunch
    Since you mentioned chicken…..my Aunt Ruth sat me down one hot North Texas day with a big plate of fried chicken and a bunch of raw, fresh, deseeded jalapenos. And the rest is history. I can’t even think of fried chicken without peppers like that since.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I really love the Siracha hot sauce but it's gotten extremely expensive as well as hard to find so I was wondering if you peckerheads I mean pepperheads have a recommendation of anything comparable heat wise that won't break the bank. I don't have access to a supply of Postholes liquid flamethrower so it'd have to be OTC
    I remember reading a story on the shortage of Siracha. It's actually kind of sad, it seems that two business men cultivated a business relationship that was making them both lots of money. But, greed may have caused them both to lose substantial amounts of $.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/meet-...110500380.html

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I got a variety pack of Melinda’s hot sauces at Christmas. So far my favorite of that bunch is their garlic habanero sauce. They also make a terrific green jalapeno based hot sauce that is larrupin.

My all time current favorite is some ‘yard to table’ sauce I get from NOVA every year. It’ll light your ass up withsomeawesomefermented flavors! I think some old guy with a helper named Bubba crafts it.
    BKB
    Ha, I know that dude. QA, if you’re comfortable DMing me your address, I’ll ship you a bottle.

I’m like Thump in that I typically have at least 3-4 bottles open at a time as I like different sauces on different foods. The one that hadn’t been mentioned yet I think is awesome on pulled pork is Calypso. Amazing flavor but it will light you up if you go too heavy with it.

https://www.mohotta.com/product/mato...auce/Hot-Sauce

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

My current lineup:

I've got a bottle of Taco Bell Fire sauce which has no heat but I see that Walmart carries a two ounce bottle of Melinda's Ghost pepper sauce that I may try. Being diabetic, I drink a couple glasses of V-8 every day and I like it SPICY so a few drops of Melinda's Ghost Pepper might be just what the Dr ordered
    Albert Einstein

If any of ya'll want some hot sheeit, just talk Phole outta a few drops of his homemade stuff.....he sent me some a few years ago, and I accidentally dropped a smidgen on wifey's carpet.....it started smoldering, and ate a hole slap thru to the concrete.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    If any of ya'll want some hot sheeit, just talk Phole outta a few drops of his homemade stuff.....he sent me some a few years ago, and I accidentally dropped a smidgen on wifey's carpet.....it started smoldering, and ate a hole slap thru to the concrete.
    Good to see you checking in Mudward! Yep, I had some of that stuff while sitting at P-hole's kitchen table years ago. It'll sure make your hemorrhoids cuss at you on the way out!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Hey CD, see you have some Matouk's in your lineup. Mango and scotch bonnet? Haven't had that in years. Used to be a favourite. Was in the store today and had to look for some but no luck. Search will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    QA, if you’re comfortable DMing me your address, I’ll ship you a bottle.
    I appreciate it CD but no need to go to any expense on my account, the picture you posted was just the kind of help I was looking for. Amazon and I are on a first name basis, I imagine they know more about my finances than I do.
    Albert Einstein

My current lineup:

I've had a few of those, but never tried the Lysol. Is it offered in different heat levels?

I appreciate it CD but no need to go to any expense on my account, the picture you posted was just the kind of help I was looking for. Amazon and I are on a first name basis, I imagine they know more about my finances than I do.
    Your call QA. I had a bumper crop of peppers last year and have some extra if you’d like to try it. (It’s not nearly as hot as Barry and the label make out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I've had a few of those, but never tried the Lysol. Is it offered in different heat levels?
    Weisenheimer!

It wouldn’t be proper to not mention the granddaddy of them all, just plain old vinegar hot sauce. Growing up, it’d be on just about any diner or restaurant table you sat down in. Great on just about everything.
    The original.
    BKB

IMG_2276.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

This is something similar I’ve had before. I may try to make some this summer.

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/c...can-hot-sauce/

Amazing on greens . (And, bawled peanuts…)

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    It wouldn’t be proper to not mention the granddaddy of them all, just plain old vinegar hot sauce. Growing up, it’d be on just about any diner or restaurant table you sat down in. Great on just about everything.
    The original.
    BKB

IMG_2276.jpg
    Had this exact thing at a local bbq joint just yesterday. Had a side of collard greens and it’s a must have!

Hot sauce update:

I tried a couple different flavors of Melinda's sauces and I like the ghost pepper wing sauce better than the garlic habanero. I also found a 20 oz bottle of Tabasco brand siracha sauce and while it's not bad it's not as good as the original rooster sauce. When I get down to some half bottles I may blend a couple of them just to see what happens. It's been an interesting and enjoyable journey thus far.
    Albert Einstein

This isn’t really hot sauce, its meat sauce. Its great caesar’s ghost dang good meat sauce. You put it on meat. Figure it out. But they have a jalapeno meat sauce that will make you slap your momma. So technically this isn’t a Kribbs change of subject post.

Try this stuff. I’m addicted. You can order it online.
    BKB

https://www.franksmeatsauce.com/

may as well make it a commercial

IMG_2283.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

When it comes to chicken wings, there’s only ONE sauce for me. I’ve mentioned it many times here when a sauce or wing discussion comes up. It may be a bit sweet for the diabetics here, but it’s been the only way I’ve wanted my wings for the past 20 years or more. It’s a little pricey for such a small bottle, but prices vary, so it pays to shop. I used to get it at Wally World, but we found a local fish market (of all places), that has the best price in town. You owe it to yourself to at least try it, you’ll thank me later. Personally, I throw the wings in a Tupperware bowl, dump in a bottle of Tiger Sauce, then apply the lid and shake it all up to cover the wings.

When our grocery budget is strained (like MOST of the time), we’ll just hit an Asian market and pick up a big ol’ bottle of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce. Not even close to Tiger Sauce IMHO, but a decent substitute. It’s very common and easy to find.

That Tiger Sauce is good on wings. It’s been one of my go-to’s since you mentioned it back in the day.

That Tiger Sauce is good on wings. It’s been one of my go-to’s since you mentioned it back in the day.
    Yeah, I believe it was Bwana (?) who also picked up on it and last I heard, that's the only way his family wants them now.