Thread: Dog gone

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar

Dog gone

Had to put down my big, old pupper Jake yesterday morning. He was very ill and had been down for a couple of days so it was time to do what needed to be done. I've done this before, as has most everyone who has dogs but it's always a gut punch. He had a pretty good run - 9 years and 3 months which is good for his breed. He was the oldest living of my three bull mastiffs and by far and away the most 'interesting'. He had a nack of pissing me off big time then coming over for a cuddle to make it ok again. Big empty spot in my heart right now.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Man, I’m sorry to hear that John. “Gut punch” is a very apt description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that. It definitely sucks to lose a good dog.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I like most dogs, I don't like most people. I inherited Willis, a seven year old pit when my son moved. He's as gentle as a kitten and wouldn't bite a biscuit. He's also my last dog. If I outlive him there won't be another. Done. Finito, never again. Too much hurt in my life without adding to it.

Sometimes the pleasure ain't worth the pain
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Yep, it sure stinks. Praying for you
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Oh no! I’m so sorry John. We’ve had a couple of devastating losses ourselves this year, so I can totally relate. Pets become so close they become REAL family members and a loss is painful. Lynn and I send you our best wishes.

Thanks guys. Your right qa, no more dogs for me. Can't do this again.

On the other side of this discussion, I have been a dog lover all my life, and always will be.....we've got a pet cemetary in the woods behind our house, and to date there's 18 dog head stones out there, covering the past 46 years.....some died from old age, some died from various accidents, some died from cancer, and some got sick and I had to put them down.....all were cared for properly by the vet, and were never ignored or abused.
    I loved them all like our family members, and will not hesitate to replace one, if I have to put one down.....I'll mourn over the loss, then rejoice over filling the void.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    It’ll be the first to admit I take it hard when I lose a dog. Even so, I can’t imagine being without one for long. If nothing else, the house is just too darn quiet without that extra life force wandering around.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

The Missus picked him out of the litter when he was 4 weeks old. We brought him home at 8 weeks and he was part of everything we did after that. He was a 'difficult' dog, full of life and himself but he was also the most affectionate pooch we ever had. Liked nothing better than to be adored (as I called it), petted and cuddled. Mr. Tough Guy was really a pussycat.

I still love dogs and it's going to be hard not having one under foot all the time but we're getting on in years and I can't take on the responsibility for another creature that will probably outlive me. I'll keep the memories of this one close to my heart but I think that's it.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that johnboy. Dogs are full fledged members of the family here as well. Can't imagine life w/o them.

They make me smile.

My first dogs were farm dogs. We had a long line of german sheperds going back to the original, Buck. My step Dad, who just passed away last week, was a baptist preacher and after Buck (already named when we got him) thedogs all had biblical names, mainly biblical bad guys. There was Pharoah and then a line of Caesars. The current one is Caesar and might be the best of the bunch.
    I took a break from having a dog while in the military but got into springers and have owed several over the years. Then inherited a granddog, a husky. What a pup. He died of cancer and we were down to just one springer again. She thought she had it made in her senior years. Then we rescued a pair of husky siblings and she lived most of the rest of her life irritated at those two. Had to put her down last year and the pups will be five this summer. I call them the velociraptors. You won’t find better dogs or bigger pains in the ass.

Yep, we’re dog people. I feel your loss, John. Sorry to make this a thump post.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    So sorry for your loss John. Those critters definitely have a way of becoming wrapped around a persons heart.

Had to put down the pup on my picture dealie over eight years ago and just thinking about it still brings a tear to my eye.

Our current pup is eight years old and much like you, I'm not sure I have another one in me though there sure is ALOT of upside to a good dog.

Take care sir.