Thread: Minnkota Talon

Minnkota Talon

They're pimping these things on every fishing show and ad that they can find. I looked at 'em, and to be honest, I just don't think I have many fishing applications that I'd ever use one for. At what happens to your transom when some friggin boat wake rocks you? They have a shock absorber or something built in to take the pressure off? Have to I'd think.

anyway, they look cool and I'm all for cool when it comes to fishing. I just can't imagine using one. Plus wouldn't they make a lot of racket?

BTW, every boat I saw on TV in the Bass Masters Classic at Grand recently had one on it. In the pictures I saw of them fishing, not a one was deployed that I can tell. I made it a point to notice.

anybody got one?

BKB

Yeah, I don't get it. I can see it being semi useful in the rivers we fish but the depth changes so drastically that you'd have to pay attention to when it would work, or when it wouldn't.... when using your trolling motor just solves to issue right then and there.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

At 35 pounds I think it outweighs my anchor. I have to conserve weight in my boat because of the lardasses that are usually in the boat with me.
    BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Get the Minnkota Terrova with the i-Pilot and electronic anchor. As close to the cat's meow as you can get.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Bwana, got it and chunked it for a Maxxum. I want to be in control and I want to lift that thing up and down without having to get up out of my seat and walk to front of boat!!!

But I don't use a TM to troll, either. That's why 4 strokes were invented!!

And I can see where this would be a great thing to have, if you have more money than Santa Claus, and less sense than a 1st grader. Other than that, I'll use an anchor.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Not sure I follow about the Maxxum vs. the Terrova thing.

As for the cost of the Terrova new, I agree that it is ridiculous which is why I bought a 2 year old version for a bit more then half price.

I can assure you I didn't buy the Terrova to use as an anchor but it does come in handy for that too. 4-cylces are nice but my boat is old so it is 2-cycle for me.