Thread: This getting old thing is for the birds ...

This getting old thing is for the birds ...

We bought this house the summer of 1989. Right after the move-in, Lynn went to the local supermarket to begin stocking our empty fridge. We had no idea what all was around the area, so I told her to keep an eye out for a barber shop while she was out. With packing everything up in California, tying up all the loose ends and moving to Florida, house hunting, etc. etc, a haircut had been low on my priority list ... but I was way overdue!

There happened to be a barber shop a few doors down from the grocery store, in the same strip center. The name of the place was Arnie's Barber Shop. Lynn stuck her head in the door and asked if Arnie was there. Arnie was at the first chair and responded to her. She asked how much a haircut costs, Arnie hollered out $7.00 and she continued on her way. She got home, told me where the shop was and told me to ask for Arnie. I headed over there and the minute I walked in, Arnie started in on me. I guess since he'd never seen me before, he assumed I was the one Lynn had asked pricing for. He asked if I'd sent my DAUGHTER in earlier to ask about pricing. I told him that was my wife and he busted out laughing! He said, there's no way she'd have given anyone, as ugly as me, a second look! When I got into his chair, I started to tell him how I wanted my hair cut. He laid down his comb and clippers, stepped in front of the chair, looked at me and said, "You came in here for a haircut didn't you?' I said, "uhhh ... yeah". He asked if I tell my doctor how to do brain surgery, then told me to just sit still and he'd cut my hair! I learned on future visits, you don't tell him how to cut your hair because he'll totally ignore you and cut it the way HE wants to cut it. EVERY trip in was a fun time and everyone there joined in the fun. Talking to Arnie was like trying to have a conversation with Don Rickles. No matter what you threw at him, you'd better duck for cover, because he'd come right back and nail you!

Arnie was a hardcore Republican and had no problem letting you know about it. He had all sorts of Conservative signs, bumper stickers, etc, all over the shop. He could also be a touch on the racist side, but not in a mean, disgusting way, he just had a problem with "social programs", so to speak. In all the years I knew him, I was only able to get the best of him ONE time. My dad was in town, traveling for business, and stated he needed to get a haircut while here. I filled him in on Arnie and we devised a plan to "F" with him. I was also due for a haircut, so I drove dad over, but he stayed in the car. I went in, picked a number, sat down and started chatting with Arnie, 5 mins. later, my dad walked in with a clipboard and never said a word, but walked around the shop "taking notes". Arnie asked if he could help him and dad looked at him and asked if he was the owner. Arnie said yes and asked what he could do for him. Dad looked down at his clipboard, glanced around a bit, then looked at Arnie and said, "I'm with the EEOC and I notice you have no minority barbers working here." Ha ha ha ha! I thought Arnie was gonna pop a vein in his neck before dad and I busted out laughing! That's when I introduced my dad to him. Dad got his haircut and never again set foot in the shop (he lived in Seattle), but Arnie NEVER once failed to ask about him whenever I was in.

Arnie LOVED John Wayne and had photos all over the shop of "The Duke". I gave him a real nice, framed print for Christmas one year and it hung in the shop for many years. Arnie was an avid fisherman and if he wasn't cutting hair, he was out in his bass boat on one of the local lakes. One year he took what he called his trip of a lifetime and went salmon fishing in Alaska. He always talked about wanting to go back, but never made it. He was also a regular at his church, even though he worked 6 days a week and church time cut into his fishing time. I remember, on my first visit, I tipped him $1.00 after my haircut and it became a running joke as through all those years, I continued tipping him $1.00! When I had all my medical issues and was in and out of the hospital, whenever I went in for a haircut, he always refused to charge me. He'd just brush the hair off my shoulders, shove me out of his chair and tell me to get well. Anyway, a few years back, he decided to retire and sold his shop to one of his barbers. I ran into Arnie one evening at Walmart and asked how he was doing now that he's retired and he said he missed working so much, he opened another shop. He handed me his new business card, which directed me to "Arnie's Barber Pole". It's a small shop, just 4 chairs, but easy to manage, and Arnie continued to be my only barber! Then Covid hit and all barbers were required to close. Being the hater of "big government" that he was, he fought the shut-down, but had to follow the rules. In the meantime, I picked up a nice set of clippers on eBay and Lynn started cutting my hair. This continued all through Covid and even when barber shops started opening back up, we just continued on with Lynn cutting my hair.

Yesterday, I really needed a haircut and decided to drop in and see Arnie. Lynn was with me and we walked into the shop, which was pretty busy as it was Saturday. The first thing I noticed was Arnie was not there. Lynn asked where Arnie was and we were informed he'd died a couple years ago! We were not only a little embarrassed, but I got pretty choked up. As we waited, I told Lynn I needed to go. After the past 35 years, just sitting there watching someone else manning Arnie's chair, was a little too much for me to handle. It just wasn't the same shop anymore. There was only ONE Arnie and nobody will ever be able to replace him. As it stands now, I may just continue having Lynn cut my hair, There's not that much of it left anyway. In fact, once I started losing my hair, I always asked Arnie when he was going to start giving me a discount. He'd just laugh and tell me he should be charging me extra just because I'm so damned ugly!

arnie.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Yep, soon as they start double posting you can bet on breaking a hip is next.

That place reminds me of the barber shop I went to as a kid in my hometown. Always heard a story, always got a few new jokes and always a ‘warm’ conversation about the state of my generation (starting with hair). Remember I grew up in the ‘60s.
    But I get the nostalgia. Its been a minute since I’ve been in a barbershop.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

The ironic thing is, shortly after his Alaska fishing trip (he took his wife with him), his wife came down with cancer. There was a point she wasn't expected to live. You know, the usual thing you hear so many times .... she may have 6-months, etc. With surgeries and treatments, she ended up being a survivor. That was probably 15-20 years ago. Well, she's still around and outlived him.

It's not mentioned in his obit and the shop was crowded when we went in, so I didn't ask. Arnie was a hard-core Trumpian and I can't help wondering if Covid got him. I have no clue, but I could easily believe he would have been an "anti-vaxxer". He was very active, always healthy, non-smoker (not sure if he drank), has never been over weight and always a hard worker, on his feet all day for 6-days/week most of his life. When there Saturday, I noticed one of the barbers (Steve) was still there. He'd worked for Arnie for as long as I can remember. I may try to catch up to him someday and find out what took ol' Arnie down .... but then again, I kind of wonder if I should just leave it alone. TBH, I get teared up when I sit here writing about him. He was a character and I'll never meet another like him. He'll be sorely missed by me and according to the comments on the barber shop's FB page (just checked it out this morning), many feel the same as me. Odd, the FIRST comment on the FB copy of his obit, was this entry: (it mirrors exactly what I wrote here Saturday)

"Arnie has cut my hair for 47 years. He was a jokester, loved to cut up and pick. I learned early, don't bother telling him how you want your hair cut, he did it the way he wanted it. I grew to love the man. Till we meet again Brother."
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

P-hole, I wondered what you were talking about earlier. I never noticed the double post until a few mins. ago. I have no idea how that happened. I hope my computer hasn’t been infected by the dreaded “Oklahoma P-hole Disease”. I’m SURE it originated in a lab in China.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Its been a minute since I’ve been in a barbershop.

BKB
    or near a razor
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

But it appears he’s been up close and personal with an ugly stick quite often lately. (And I ain’t talkin’ ‘bout the fishing pole version!)

Ahhhh, childhood memories of my barber.....he was the only barber for miles around.....he was a chain smoker of Lucky Strike cigarettes.....he was a habitual drunk.....he belched his alcoholic breath in everyone's face and guffawed loudly, when farting aloud, with no apologies.....he abused his wife.....his one chair shop reeked of alcohol, tobacco smoke, and dog sheeit (he raised bird dogs).....he only gave crew-cuts and flat-tops(50 cents each), which usually had chinks and were cut unevenly.
    However, during the 1950-60's, his only redeeming quality was his reputation, as one of the best bird hunters, and most successful and respected breeders of bird dogs in the southern U.S.
    Southern Gentleman

Haha, we must be close to the same age. My standard haircut from my first one until I was about 12 was the standard flat top. I can still smell that smell of ‘butch wax’.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

My dad and I both had flat tops, and we would go thru a couple of jars of that pink butch wax stuff every month.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I wonder if that stuff will hold a mustache. I’ve got a big burley cowboy stache I wear long and it’s as stiff and out of control as a wire brush. Beard oil and balm don’t have any effect on it at all
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

It’d prolly catch a lot more crumbs.
    Viva Renaldo!