Thread: What I have been up to, this past week.....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What I have been up to, this past week.....

About 2 years ago, I was surfing the net, and ran across some video clips of some bush pilot guys who had gotten interested in flying some extreme STOL airplanes..... that is the abbreviation for Short Take Offs and Landings......they are mostly small highly modified airplanes, designed to take off and land at extremely short distances, i.e., on river sand bars, snow packs, and tundras.
    I read and studied about what these guys were accomplishing with literally "landing and taking off on a dime", and it sort of inspired me to find out more......as some of you may remember, my dad and I operated an aerial application business(crop dusters), and sold the business years ago.....after I watched many of the STOL videos, that spark was rekindled to fly, again, even if it was at an extremely low and slow pace.....the great part about it is, just about anyone can fly most of these experimental-designated aircraft without an FAA license.....and most of the smaller STOL aircraft are available in kit form, and don't cost an arm and a leg.

I found out that there is even an organization of STOL enthusiasts, who actually compete in several events each year on a laid out STOL course, and the interest has grown at an an alarming pace.....so, when I found out one of the events was being held this past week, and fairly close to my home, down in south Louisiana, I just could not resist the temptation, and I was thrilled with all the flying action over the entire two days, and best I remember, there were about 30 aircraft in the competition, and there must have been over a thousand spectators.....and, the crawfish were in season, and I ate my share, too !!!

Here's the link to the organization, and some short videos on the "Watch Live" tab.....be sure to watch Dan Reynolds and his totally home modified Chinook.....I think he holds the world record for the shortest take off at 9.5 feet and landing at 6.6 feet .....he is one of the most respected pilots in the organization, and I really want one of his kits, when and if he begins production.

https://nationalstol.com/swamp/#
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 03-25-2024 at 02:39 AM.
    Southern Gentleman