Thread: What I have been up to, this past week.....

What I have been up to, this past week.....

About 2 years ago, I was surfing the net, and ran across some video clips of some bush pilot guys who had gotten interested in flying some extreme STOL airplanes..... that is the abbreviation for Short Take Offs and Landings......they are mostly small highly modified airplanes, designed to take off and land at extremely short distances, i.e., on river sand bars, snow packs, and tundras.
    I read and studied about what these guys were accomplishing with literally "landing and taking off on a dime", and it sort of inspired me to find out more......as some of you may remember, my dad and I operated an aerial application business(crop dusters), and sold the business years ago.....after I watched many of the STOL videos, that spark was rekindled to fly, again, even if it was at an extremely low and slow pace.....the great part about it is, just about anyone can fly most of these experimental-designated aircraft without an FAA license.....and most of the smaller STOL aircraft are available in kit form, and don't cost an arm and a leg.

I found out that there is even an organization of STOL enthusiasts, who actually compete in several events each year on a laid out STOL course, and the interest has grown at an an alarming pace.....so, when I found out one of the events was being held this past week, and fairly close to my home, down in south Louisiana, I just could not resist the temptation, and I was thrilled with all the flying action over the entire two days, and best I remember, there were about 30 aircraft in the competition, and there must have been over a thousand spectators.....and, the crawfish were in season, and I ate my share, too !!!

Here's the link to the organization, and some short videos on the "Watch Live" tab.....be sure to watch Dan Reynolds and his totally home modified Chinook.....I think he holds the world record for the shortest take off at 9.5 feet and landing at 6.6 feet .....he is one of the most respected pilots in the organization, and I really want one of his kits, when and if he begins production.

https://nationalstol.com/swamp/#
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 03-25-2024 at 02:39 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

That’s some cool stuff! Whole time I was watching I was wondering how they keep from dumping them Forward when they land.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Actually, some do accidentally, brake too hard and tilt forward too far, and the propeller makes contact with the ground, and simply enough, it's called a nose-over "prop strike".....even the slightest prop strike can possibly require a very costly total engine overhaul.....I never had a prop strike, but I did ground loop a Piper PA-18A Super Cub once, when a hard straight line wind hit me from 90 degrees, upon touchdown.....blew out a tire, and barely rubbed the paint off the wing tip.....no major damage, but I did have to go home and change my underwear.

Here's a little prop strike info., if interested:

https://agairupdate.com/2022/10/10/u...-prop-strikes/
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 03-25-2024 at 10:38 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

I’ve never flown anything other than a Pinto (story for another day) but in my younger days I used to get the Benson gyrocopter catalogue and drool over it for months. Flying home built ultralights and small aircraft is quite a big hobby in the part of the country I grew up in. Lots of hang gliding too.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

You should head down here for the Sun 'n Fun Fly-in (Oooops, they just changed the name to Sun 'n Fun Aerospace Expo), It's a huge annual event and is the second largest in the U.S. (next to Oshkosh). My brother is a big ultra-light guy (started with hang-gliding while stationed in Hawaii in the Coast Guard) and alternates years. He hits Oshkosh one year, then comes here the next year ... just continues alternating. Our house seems to be the turning around point for the airshows. I assume because we live on a large lake and it's a good visual for a turning point. They zip over the show, hit the lake, go into a hard bank and head back toward the show for another pass. We avoid the crowd by watching from the back yard. I did realize, they didn't appear to turn around here the past couple years and am wondering if they changed the traffic patterns. Possibly because FedEx just established one of their shipping terminals at the airport and they divert traffic around them. (pure speculation on my part)

Anyway, they always have a huge gathering of STOL aircraft owners and vendors.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Can I rent a room from you for next year's show ???
    Southern Gentleman

Sure, but you'll have to share the bed with 10 cats!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Ha, never mind, I forgot about all of ya'lls cats !!!!!
    Southern Gentleman

Jim’s Cathouse
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I wonder how much bourbon it would take to get me in one of those things. Hats off to you boys made of sterner stuff.

Will