Thread: Fishin’ Jones

Fishin’ Jones

If I don’t get to go fishing soon somebody may get hurt. I need an intervention!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I hear ya brother. My tackle box wakes me up in the middle of the night calling my name. Actually it's probably Mrs Q telling me to stop snoring but I really do need to go fishing. I've got to grind up some anise seed and make a paste to marinate some chicken breasts and shrimp in, the catfish are starting to bite below the dam
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

There’s one I haven’t heard of! Details pls!
    Viva Renaldo!

I use to hang out with a group of guys that made snag lines. Just a regular trot line but they used cotton drop lines. They'd make a concoction of anise oil and 30 weight motor oil and soak the cotton drops in it then just hook the drops unbaited to the trot line and weigh it down. They caught a lot of big catfish like that....something about the smell of the anise oil that draws them. I'm just gonna mortar and pestle some anise seed with a little oil into a paste and let it marinate on a couple of chicken breast and some shrimp for a few days then freeze it precut into bait size chunks. I'll probably use menhaden (Shad) oil with the anise if it's not too expensive
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Well thought out it appears! It was kind of a long winter wasn’t it? I’m anxious to hear the results. Makes me hungry for catfish. How long till Friday?
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Friday was last week, you musta missed it
    Albert Einstein

I barely know what day it is most of the time. Only reason I mark Fridays any more is ever so often we cook a steak on Friday night, a tradition that goes back to Air Force days. Used to be EVERY Friday night but budgets and health have made us back off some. Also, our local cafe has a Kribbs level all you can eat catfish buffet on Friday nights.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

All you can eat for Kribbs is a tall order. He's put more AYCE places out of business than Andre the giant
    Albert Einstein

Hey! I’ve just been sitting here minding my own business and ….. WAIT! Where persactly is this AYCE buffet you speak of P-hole??

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I’ve caught fish every month this year other than January when I didn’t get out because of too much family stuff happening. My goal every year is to fish in in every month but I usually fall short and miss a month at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I am sooooo blessed.....last week, my son and I fished four different crappie lakes.....then, I left and went to Chicot, and fished there for two more days.....my cup runneth over, and so do the crappie filets in my freezer !!!
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 04-16-2024 at 01:48 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Edward, are you a live scoper or do you fish the way God intended? Guys I know target only fish of a specific size then move on. I dunno, seems kinda like shooting a cow or a sheep at the feed trough then posting it on fakebook.

I'm not fan
    Albert Einstein

Most of the guides around here make side bucks teaching people how to use their livescopes.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

QA, I am a 100% purist, when it comes to my crappie fishing.....I do NOT own, and never will own a live scope.....my son owns one, but he readily admits that it is totally useless, when fishing the shallow spawning grounds(1 to 3 feet) with me.....his boat will barely draft in that shallow water.....I get total satisfaction in figuring out where the crappie are located, what structure they are holding on, what jig size and color they like best at certain times of the day, and I follow the solunar tables, religiously.
    It's a competition for me---me against the crappie.....I do have a depth finder, but rarely have to use it, except to keep from getting my boat grounded....I do, however, get a good laugh, out of watching the guys on the water with their little live scope tv screens.....they spend more time with their nose glued to their screens, than they do actually fishing.
    If I was literally starving for food, I might buy one, but on the other hand, $2,200 will buy a lot of groceries.
    And, I haven't even bought a minnow in prolly 40 years.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 04-17-2024 at 12:20 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

I don't eat fish but once or twice a month tops, all that cornmeal doesn't jibe with a diabetic so I really don't have any reason to keep 100 lbs of fillets in the freezer. I primarily fish with mini spoons and crankbaits on a light rod with 6 lb line. Another month or so and it'll be flyrod and popping bugs.

I fish for enjoyment and when it quits being fun I'll stay at home
    Last edited by quercus alba; 04-17-2024 at 12:03 AM.
    Albert Einstein

QA, it's almost a religion at our house to eat fish at least once or twice a week.....and, it's not always fried in the cornmeal.....wifey has some killer baked, broiled, and smoked recipes.....my personal favorite is baked crappie fillets, with her crawfish stuffing inside.....I'm working on a crappie kabob recipe wrapped in bacon, with cherry tomatoes, red & green bell pepper, jalapeno slices, purple onion, mushrooms, and maybe some pineapple chunks.
    Southern Gentleman

here's one for you Eddie, steam your fillets and knead it with boiled Yukon gold potatoes, sauteed onions and some diced jalapenos then form into patties. Pan fry with a little olive oil to get a crust and you have a poor mans salmon croquette. Makes a great sandwich or can be used as the meat course with veggies. We like to use trash fish for this as well, like largemouth or white bass
    Albert Einstein

It's breakfast time here and youse dufes are starting to gag me! I've never been a big fish eater, but if I eat it, it almost always has to be fried. I will say, during my old bear hunting/walleye fishing days in the bush of Northern Canada, I LOVED fresh caught, fried walleye. Of course, when I DO eat fish, it's fried and usually about a 50/50 mixture of fish and tartar sauce ... and lots of lemon. That said, Lynn could LIVE of of fish if I didn't drag her down to my level. Shellfish? No problem. Crab, lobster, scallops and shrimp are the bomb. Clams? Fried (ok) or in chowder. Crawfish, fine, but WAY too much work for that little chunk of meat ... just give me his big daddy, the lobster. Don't even get those nasty-assed oysters near me. Anyone who'd suck down one of those slimy balls of snot, would suck a d..k! (fortunately, Lynn LOVES oysters!)

Weird thing is, I can tear up a boatload of sushi and sashimi.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

QA, that sounds scrumptious.....I gotta try that !!!

Thump, I shoulda took pictures and posted myself, larruping down 52 raw oysters at the Half Shell Oyster House in Biloxi a few weeks ago.....26 at lunch and another 26 at supper (they served me an additional oyster with each dozen order).....people started to stare and grin at me.
    Southern Gentleman

QA, you ever tried that with mashed cauliflower? I’m trying to watch my carbs.

Hank, I've substituted riced cauliflower in a few dishes but not with fish cakes. I don't know why it wouldn't work though. However when someone says that " you can't tell it from potatoes" then either they're insane or they're lying or all their taste buds have died. I like cauliflower but it ain't potatoes
    Albert Einstein

I’m with QA. Mashed cauli is just a mashed fart. Nothing close to a spud.
    I think CD must’ve got that recipe off of Wilford brimley or something.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Hank's just trying to keep that hunky physique for the ladies. Posty and I don't need the bod, we've got the charm and experience.
    Albert Einstein

Yep, tried the cauliflower crap. Same deal, I don’t mind cauliflower, it ain’t even in the same universe with ‘taters. Nice try cauliflower industry, but it’s a fail.

Ha! Not suggesting it’d be the same and I love me some taters. But, I like cauliflower too and am trying to cut where I can.

I love me some cauliflower, but raw.....my wifey breaks the head up into raw bite-size chunks, and we dip it in her curry/ranch dressing dip.....she usually serves it up with raw celery, carrots, and real Italian black olives.....I can dang near eat an entire head of it.
    Southern Gentleman