Thread: The Gristmill Grinder

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar

The Gristmill Grinder

Well race day finally came and I managed to survive and here is proof:

Grinder finish.jpg

Eight months of pretty serious endurance training and I still look like a middle linebacker. At 6' 2" and 235 I felt like an old slow dinosaur surrounded by all of these quick furry mammals. But I managed to finish all 13 miles and 2100' of vertical gain. Honestly I had a blast and was pleased as punch with how I did.

At the start everyone took off while I was still warming up. I started 50 yards behind everyone... and then they just ran off and left me. 3/4 of a mile down the road when I turned onto the trail there was literally no one in sight lol. But I was a bit dinged up and was determined not to come out of this thing injured so I was a bit cautious for the first 5 miles or so... still, I'm not really that good so no worries. At the 1st aid station 2.75 miles in my wife thought I had gotten lost! At 5.5 she said I was looking strong but still 15 minutes behind the back of the pack which was strung out over a couple miles or so of trail.

The next few miles were downhill and level and to my surprise I actually caught a few folks and passed them. Then came the big climb of the day, about 1.5 miles at 5% grade. By this time I was cruising and having a good time. I had a good rhythm going and thought I would surely catch some folks but never did. At the 10 mile aid station Heidi told me still looked strong so I gulped a couple cups of water and took off.

The last 3 were pretty brutal. A fierce climb followed by a mile of really dangerous footing of rocks and tree roots. Then another mile climb to the finish. There were a handful or two of poor souls who were walking and staggering along but I still felt pretty ok and went on by to the finish. Had a total blast and did something that I had wanted to do for 15 years. Trained for it twice when I was twice the man I am now and got injured both times. Never made the start line.

Hell I might even try this thing again next year if I'm healthy.

Will
    Last edited by Penguin; 04-22-2024 at 09:25 AM.