Thread: Wow!

Wow!

We have friends we met back in the early 90's, who became very close friends over the years and eventually became like family. Dad passed away a few years ago, but mom is still kicking and we see her at least once/week. We get together for lunch or dinner regularly and sometimes spend a few hours playing cards. I handle minor chores for her around the house and keep her car serviced. She's in her mid-80's, but still drives to the grocery store, bank, beauty shop, etc, but that's about it.

The kids have all grown and moved away to start families and follow their careers. One daughter lives in Australia, one in Orlando and a son in Texas (in the military). The kids were all in school when we met the parents, so we've watched them grow up, graduate, go to college, attended graduations, weddings, baby showers, etc. I remember when the only son graduated h/s, he had no clue what he wanted to do. He was not excited about going to college and was just floating ideas when I suggested he go into the military, spend an enlistment and maybe he'd get an idea what he wanted to do, then get out and follow his desires.

He ended up doing just that and he took to the military like a duck to water and made it his career. He's done a few tours in the Middle East, but has seen no combat as he's more into the administration side of things. He spends his tours in headquarters buildings and such, as opposed to working on the front lines (if that's even a term they still use these days). Anyway, he was here for Christmas and told me he'll be retiring this year. WTF??? It "seems" like he just got out of high school, but I guess it's just a reminder of how fast time flies these days.

Well, I just received a message from him this morning. He was getting his packet together and ready to submit for retirement in a couple months. BUT ... the Army just offered him another stripe. Another stripe would make him a Master Sergeant in the Army. (to youse non-Army dufuses, that would be an E-8). I don't know what sort of additions or bonuses he gets, or what he gets for his still dependent kids, but going by base pay alone, he's making close to 80K/year and the stripe would kick him up to 90K plus add-ons. I know you need to keep your rank for at least 3 years to retire at that paygrade, so in effect, he'd need to stay in another 3 years to avoid falling back to the E-7 pay grade upon retirement.

I told him (IMHO), he should grab it and run with it. Stay in another 3 years (he's still young) and go for the extra retirement $$$. There's no way in Hell, he'd ever make E-9, so bail after 3 more years as an E-8. (probably only the top 1% of the entire Army would ever make it to E-9, so for an administrative type guy, I'd say there's zero chance he'll go any higher in rank) He's not really burned out, so why not? That was my 2-cents, but I have no idea what decision he'll make. I will say one thing though, he sure is making me feel OLD!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Great advice you gave that young man.....I wish someone had been around to do the same for me, years ago.
    Southern Gentleman

You and me both Mudward. I had been in for 3 years, 9 months (out of a 4-year enlistment) when I was offered E-6 to stay in. I'll admit, it was tempting, but Vietnam was shut down and I'd heard rumors of our unit coming to an end. With the uncertainty of what I'd be doing, I was a bit concerned. I knew I'd still be in Military Intelligence, but had no clue what sort of unit I'd be reassigned to. I'll never know, but the rumor did turn out to be true. I took an early out in August of '75 (orig. ETS was November) and our unit was disbanded in 1976. The CIA took it over, sanitized it and moved on.

To help with my decision, my dad was REALLY campaigning for me to come home and help him with his start-up custom car business ... which I did.

BUT, I always wondered what "may have been" if I'd stayed in. When it REALLY sucked is when I hit what would have been my retirement age with full benefits while I was only in my 30's. That's when it really struck home with me as I COULD have been retired with a nice pension, benefits out the wazoo and still young enough to do whatever I wanted, including the option of staying in the military, or going back to work and receiving a "double pay check". I can now look back at all the struggles I would NOT have had if I'd stayed in, but then again, who knows what could have happened while serving? Life is a coin-toss I suppose.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain