Thread: Weather Chasers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weather Chasers

Its not like its a new thing, but this year they’re more prolific. I’m talking about the line of cars and fancy trucks chasing every big thunderstorm and weather outbreak hoping for footage of the big one. We keep close track of the weather naturally because we live in tornado alley. The channel we carry easily has at least two chasers they talk to on every big storm. And that’s just one station. And doesn’t count the freelancers hoping to capture video they can sell to the national news orgs.
    I know they provide a service. I’m not sure they provide the early warning they claim to. We get a pretty early heads up any more, usually days ahead of bad storm conditions. To me, all these chasers do is cater to our voyeur side. Hell, when I was growing up and there was a storm, it seemed like the whole county loaded up and drove by to look. Same deal nowadays only you have Johnny Lightning in his one ton F350 driving 80 on the county roads to take a picture of it while its happening.
    I could do with roughly about half of them.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I’ve always wanted to do it but have never had the opportunity. I was just watching a video of one from this weekend and was amazed at how close this idiot got and how many vehicles he passed just stopped on the side of the road. I think everyone wants clicks and followers these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I worked with a engineer once who had a son in meteorology school at OU. He worked on Project Vortex back in the day and went chasing every spare minute he hadwhen he was in school. At lunch one day Robert told us about his son bring his car home all beat up by hail and a birdhouse had gone through the front windshield. This was in the late 80’s early 90s so it was more about weather nerds than clicks as they didn’t exist!
    I lived in Stillwater in mid-western OK for a couple years in the early 70’s and chased a couple myownself. Good place to chase because you can see a long ways!
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJH...-g3I8H3GhHWV7w

This guy Ryan Hall is the best I've seen for minute to minute in bad weather.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I know of a crew chasing a big storm several years ago that were almost taken out by a flying cow.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    I know of a crew chasing a big storm several years ago that were almost taken out by a flying cow.

Yep! I saw the video!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain