Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neat brain-fart.....I hope....

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    He's one of the only NOVA guys I never got a chance to meet.

BKB
    He's a good guy Barry. I ran around with The Lenster, Chessie, Carnivore and Bubbles quite a few times. Even got to meet "Danny".

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    I remember that name.

Lol you be spying in my bedroom skylight!!!! Lol

Were they granny panties or thongs, Len?

BKB

Couldn't really tell... Hard to see them under all dungeon stuff in that drawer.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    Just like GH topics!

Start with wallet and license.

Then end up with my undies!!!!
    Sheessss

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Why not? YOUR end is up your undies, why shouldn't ours be?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Put yer wallet in yer front pocket. Actually, a lot of men wind up with hip problems from sitting on a fat wallet for years.

Speaking of fish cops......
    One time yeaaaarrrssss ago, me and some buds were drift-fishing for trout on the Chattahoochee river north of Atlanta.
    Way down the river, we could see a fish-cop and some dude on the bank, and could see the FC was writing. As we drifted closer, the FC was still writing....and as we drifted by them, he was STILL writing. One of us hollered out to the dude, "What'd you do wrong?". The dude hollered back....."Got outta bed this morning." We all laughed out asses off...but the FC was STILL writing his tickets as we drifted outta sight. I can only imagine the charges.....where the dude was fishing on the bank he was trespassing. That section of the river is artificial only. There's an 8 fish limit. You can only fish one rod at a time. I am sure there's other stuff that he could have been doing wrong as well....but that's just off the top of my head.

Down here the wardens have been known to slip through the woods and try to catch folks sitting in their stand without orange on, or hunting over bait and such. I am pretty sure they can only do that on the WMA's and on "leased" hunting land. I could be wrong, but I don't think they can come on private property without a search warrant. Like I said I COULD be wrong, so I try to follow all of the silly rules even on my own land.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Well, like Hunter always used to say ... bring up a subject, and I probably have pics to back up my crazy story!

Here's pictorial proof of the difference between "fish cops" and "regular cops".

One year 6 of us were in Northern Ontario ... waaaay up north ... north of the Arctic Circle to be exact. We were so far out in the boonies they had to pipe in sunlight. The lake we were camped on had a small boat ramp, but it was 30 miles from our campsite (a small log cabin). Water was the only way to get to us ... there were no roads. My life-long Ohio deer hunting partner and I were the only two that were bear hunting, the others were there to fish only. We all fished if my bud and I weren't hunting. We had no refrigeration and pretty much lived off the fish we caught, plus the canned and dry goods we brought with us. We built ourselves a live tank with some sticks and chicken wire we'd brought with us. We ate Walleye for breakfast, lunch and dinner! I'm not normally much of a fish eater, but that Walleye is GOOD stuff and I could easily have eaten it FOUR times a day! Anyway, we had three boats with us ... just your typical aluminum 12-footers with 15 hp outboards. (it was a MAJOR journey to the boat ramp!) So, with 6 people and 3 boats, we'd pair up and fish anytime we wanted. We'd simply drop the fish we caught in the livewell when we came back in and never really thought to try counting them ... they were FOOD. When mealtime came around, we'd take a landing net and scoop out 8-10 fish for a good meal, clean 'em up and start cooking. Can't get much fresher than that.

One morning we had a batch of fish cleaned and were cooking them up for breakfast. Then we heard a hell of a racket and noticed a dang fishcop float plane landing on the lake. He taxied over to our camp, jumped out, tied the plane off and paid us a little visit. He was a nice enough guy, we chatted a bit, he checked all our licenses and sat down for a cup of coffee. BUT ... before he left, he counted all the filets we had prepped for our breakfast. Everything was fine 'til he walked back out to his plane and spotted our live box! He made us scoop every dang fish out'ta that live box and throw them up on the bank. We were over limit of course 'cause he added the filets we were frying up for breakfast! What REALLY sucked is he made us throw every over-limit fish back in the lake and by this time, they were all floating belly-up! Then he announced he was going to be writing some citations. I will say, he did give us a bit of a break ... he said before anyone says another word, he wants to make one thing clear. When he askes whose fish they are, if we say they're "ours" ... he'll be writing SIX citations. If all those fish belong to only ONE of us, he'll only be writing ONE citation. My partner immediately spoke up and said all the fish were his. He got nailed with a $150 ticket! Ok, I guess you could say he cut us a break ... but what really sucks is, if he'd showed up AFTER we ate breakfast, we'd have been legal. Since he counted the filets we were cooking, we were over limit!

Here's a pic of my partner (ex-FIL) getting the ticket from that Canuckian jerk-off!

copfish.jpg

Now for the difference between a fish cop and a "regular" LEO ...

One year I was up in Ohio for deer season. My partner (the same one getting the ticket in the pic above) and I had been out scouting and the Sherriff happened by and stopped to chat. We invited him up to the house for a cup of coffee. We chatted a while and I was introduced as the SIL from Florida up there for my annual hunt. We told him we'd been scouting for a few days and would soon be setting up our stands for opening day (the following Monday morning). He asked if we wanted to see a MONSTER buck and we were all ears! He left, but came back that night to pick us up. We hopped in the backseat of his patrol car and he took us a few miles out on this desolate back road, slowed down and hit the spotlight on his door. Out in a field, grazing with a bunch of does was a HUGE buck. He had to go at least 12-points (very easily could have been 14 or so). He told us he's there EVERY night and we should try to get a couple stands in the area if possible. We did hunt the area a couple of days but I think once season kicked in, that ol' boy climbed into a rabbit hole someplace! ('Course, that's how they get big I suppose) We never saw him again while gun season was open.

So ... THAT is the difference between a cop and a fish cop!

Pic of us having coffee (back when I not only had hair, but it even had color in it! Circa 1988 I think)

coptable.jpg

I'm sure there's good ones and bad ones in every profession. Bad fish cops just seem to be the norm. It really doesn't seem to work that way with regular law enforcement as we see by the good folks we know in LE here on our site. Part of it might be that we go to the outdoors for more than just the act itself, but to get some recharge on our batteries and enjoy ourselves. And then along comes somebody who wants to rock our world.

Still, I don't like 'em.
    BKB

Yeah Barry, you're right. I've met both good and bad cops. Heck, I even knew a coupl'a bad cops when I WAS a cop! Same goes for fish cops also I suppose. Gator knew ALL the fish cops up north and we'd run into them many times during the nights we were out catching gators. Most of them were pretty cool ... but heck, we were actually kinda working for THEM anyway. Even then, there were a few pricks in the mix who'd give us a rough time.

Come to think of it, we were out one night and had Cappy with us when a couple'a fish cops saw our spotlight and came over to check us out. They tied up to our boat and we drifted a while just to b/s and share a cup of coffee. I have pics of them and Cappy around here someplace. They were cool dudes. It just seems like the balance is tilted more to the jerk-off side with fish cops.

What makes it tougher, they have more authority than the police or Sherriff's Dep't. They don't have to play by the same rules and can get away with much more crap than a regular cop is allowed.

Thinking on this, I guess I hadn't considered this before, but the number of times I have been stopped/checked when either hunting or fishing is...........very small. Actually, I can only remember 6 times total, and I'm almost 65. I can only remember Three times getting stopped by wardens while fishing. One was the most total jerk imaginable, and even kept asking us over and over "Where do you work?". We think the old guy was training the young guy, and had to be vigilant, I don't know. The other time this guy thought we were shocking fish (it was another boat), and gave us the riot act. Later he was arrested for selling drugs!!! The only other time, they stopped me on the water and were gone in 2 minutes, good guys. Of the times while hunting only one was a total jerk......I had a broke foot and up a deer stand, and he tried to make me come down and I wouldn't do it.

In 15 years they have been to our deer camp (that we know of) 2 times! Both times they speak, chit chat, and leave. Never check a license, nothing. We are accessible by any car that's made, 1/2 mile from pavement. Yet they don't bother us.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Thump is correct, and down here, fish cops don't need a search warrant, even to enter your home....from what I hear, for instance, if they have probable cause that you possess over-the-limit fish or game, they just knock on your door, walk in, and check out your freezer(s)....same for your private land, they just hop over your fence, and walk up to your duck blind, like they own the place.

However, most of our fish cops are a little too fat and lazy to do much fence-hopping.
    Southern Gentleman

Can't check the freezer here, or anywhere else in my home. Home is specifically exempt from any limit. You can stock up a million of anything in your freezer. SO, just freeze all your fish at the lake house and you're cool.

cut/paste:

Daily Limit −
    The total limit of a certain fish species that may be taken in one day.
    Possession Limit −
    The total limit of a certain fish species that is in your possession
    at any time, whether on your person or stored in another location. Fish and wild
    game (other than migratory game birds) that have been processed and stored at a
    residence do not count toward a person’s possession limit. A residence is defined
    as a house or house trailer that is permanently in place and is owned, leased or
    rented by an individual; it does not include mobile travel trailers, tents, vehicles or
    temporary rental units (motels, lodges, cabins, resorts, etc.).
    Last edited by Buckrub; 03-22-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Here's how I see it. In my lifetime I have had times when I really needed the help of policemen, the sheriff or deputies, firemen, and paramedics. Never, not once, have I ever "needed" a fish cop in any way shape or form. I don't anticipate I will ever have use for one in the future. I have had exactly one negative experience with a cop, actually a highway patrolman that was a dink. I was good friends with the law enforcement in that community and they couldn't stand him either. He was basically the Barney Fife of the department, and an embarassment to all associated with him. Anyway other than that "one" bad experience all my other interactions with public servants have been good, with the exception of fish and game officers. Every time I have to deal with a fish cop its always tense and I don't trust any of them. I don't care if they seem like the nicest person in the world they always looking for a way to screw a person over. It seems they have a universal attitude of "everyone is guilty", they just have to dig deep enough to find out what they are guilty of. I have had some extremely bad experiences with fish cops. For the most part I consider myself to be a decent and polite person. However if any of you are ever with me, and if we get checked by a fish cop, you will see a different side of me. I say very little and try to answer any questions they have with one or two word answers. I want them gone and out of my life as soon as possible. Brief encounters with them are the best one can hope for. This isn't because I'm guilty of anything. It's because I dont' trust them, I don't like them, and I have NO use for them. I realize that many of you have a different view of fish and game officers than I do, and that's fine, but I won't be changing my mind soon.