Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exactly is illegal about owning 300 guns?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

What exactly is illegal about owning 300 guns?

WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Nothing in itself. but the article says several of the weapons were illegal.
    BKB

I know it said that.

What made them so?

And what about the rest??? ALL were confiscated.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

HeckifIknow. Ask them. I thought all us responsible gun owners kept asking for the current laws to be enforced and we wouldn't need any more regulations. Then when they do that, you raise a dang stink.

They're either illegal or they're not. Do the crime, do the time.
    BKB

I just asked WHICH of these 'existing regulations' that they are breaking. This is the only info I have, what the Fifth estate provides me. And it is insufficient. As it is written, it seems to me that a huge operation was done to 'seize' a ton of guns......and that alone was sufficient to cause this action. I just read what's written.

I do NOT think this is a case of enforcing current laws correctly. If it was, I'd agree with you.

I honestly can't tell from this article. I don't know if they're illegal because he has to have a current FFL to own them or if they're illegal because of what type weapon they are. It just doesn't say. Bustin ghim that hard for just an expired FFL seems kind of like overkill. But he's been under investigation for a long time it says. Must be something they haven't released yet.
    BKB

How many rounds are in an oodle?
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I think there's four buttloads in an oodle.

BKB

I think the illegalness is that he lives in wonderful New York. He prolly needed a permit from his government in order to posess them there gus.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

“The guns were stored all throughout the house,” Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota told NBC New York. “He had more firepower than the detectives who arrested him.”

“Plain and simple — he should not have had these guns and the manner in which he stored these weapons is shocking,” Spota told the Post.

From the NY Post:
    A gun nut who stockpiled more than 300 illegal firearms at his Long Island home also had rare devices that turn semiautomatic rifles into fully automatic machine guns, officials said yesterday.

Amateur gunsmith Jay Steiner, 66, was arrested in January after allegedly turning his Centereach house — across the street from a high school — into an illicit armory.

Many of the weapons were allegedly strewn around his home.

Officials said they found five locked and loaded guns in a dresser drawer, a shotgun hanging above a closet and a .38-caliber revolver in the kitchen.

And here's the real answer.........someone made $500 for turning him in:

As part of a sting, an undercover cop asked Steiner to fix a revolver and the suspect allegedly obliged.

Shades of Ruby Ridge........

Cancer Sucks!

Wonder how many violent crimes THIS guy ever committed? Surely he's committed 300, right?

What a load of crap. This is pure propaganda. This will get somebody an increase in budget or some grant money. They need to arrest me too. I doubt that guy could carry all those guns at once if he went on a killing spree. I couldnt carry all of my guns either. Neither could most of us in this group. 300 guns just arent that much more dangerous than one poorly placed gun. They need to get back to picking on video games and facebook. The guy just likes his guns probably. I would own 300 of them if I could. I like to look at them. Does that make me a gun nut? If so, then everyone that has ever visited a gun museum needs to be locked up. Because they must be unstable.

Not a gun nut.

A DERANGED gun nut!

The uproar is coming.........this is without question the 'mildest' web site that I visit!!! I'll just say this........MANY of the Natives are quite restless.

I hear ya bucky, the problem is that us deranged gun nuts are law abiding. Our lawmakers should realize that based on the fact that they are not filled with lead. I often wonder what will happen to cause the formation of militias or widespread radical groups that will defend their 2nd amendment rights.

already happening

Specifics? I'm curious. I dont keep up with it.

Me either. Some guy gave me this link. It just proves they are already out there.......

http://www.arkansasdefenseforce.org/rules.htm

and when you are sitting around picking your nose, try this one:

http://www.guidestones.us/

It makes me think of a situation a few months ago that came up. I received an email from a man that wanted me to come teach his group about survival medical techniques. After questionig him, what he wanted was for me to teach his isolationist group/ preppers for lack of a better term, how to peform medical procedures that are well beyond the scope of first aid. Chest tubes, antibiotic therapy, IV therapy etc. He told me to look at their website. Basically looked like a bunch of okie crackpots. I declined. Sounded like a good way to end up on a list.

Granted the article is vague as intended... just enough info to make a person think the guy was really baaaaadddd.
    It did say he did not have a license for the handguns that were there...... I know Indiana has a handgun law. Inorder to carry, ya gotta have a permit. In your own house you are allowed to have a handgun- but it must not leave the premisis. NY has gotta be more restrictive than that. I bet the arrest had mainly to do with the handguns, and since he was in violation of that law.... all guns were gathered up.
    Pat, remember the guy in Angola years ago that has a gangrene leg, that barricaded himself in his house? He had about 300 guns if I remember. Didn't Rich have to spend a whole day cataloging the evidnece? For the rest of ya- a guy went a little "off", and lived in a very run down house- supposedly even the toilet was broken, so he kept a bucket for his necessities..... he also refused to go to a doctor- which explained the infected leg. Not sure what led to him being surrounded, but he was well armed... this was several years ago.

I guess waiting for facts is out of the question. The sky is falling!
    BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    The problem is that the story was put out as is, but the rest of the story, including the "facts" won't be.

Well....after extensively searching the web....I found the news film of the incident...

Cancer Sucks!

I'm pretty much aligned with P-hole here. This guy obviously caused some red flags to pop up somewhere along the line. Who knows what it was? 'Course, if he'd started shooting up that schoolyard, we'd be screaming at the top of our lungs, "Why didn't somebody notice (insert here what "they" should have noticed)."

I guess I'll have to roll with P-hole AND Deppity actually ... we may never know what those flags were.

Well, I learned this one from Captain. Its just as easy to obey the law as it is to break it. He decided to break it. If you know the rules and intentionally break them, then there's no room to complain when you get caught. Its as simple as that. I don't see any persecution of gun owners here. I know if I owned 300 guns, I dang sure make sure I was within the law.
    BKB

My old h/s buddy and college roommate probably has 500-600 guns. His dad was an avid collector and a great gunsmith when we were in school. When his dad died, all the guns went to my buddy and he's also an avid collector. He's been adding to that already huge collection all his life. He's retired now and STILL buys/trades guns. Odd the Feds haven't kicked his door down.

SO............there are no specific laws being reported broken, but a "deranged gun nut" is arrested for having too many guns. Not one word about what laws he broke. None. But two of you are absolutely sure he broke some and state emphatically that he did, and that he 'got what was coming to him'.

Do I have this correct?

No it isn't. the article states that he did not have permits for the handguns he owned which is the law in that state.
    BKB

Just read the article again and don't see where it said that. I guess I must be missing it.

The last line of the article Bucky.