Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't care who you are, this is friggin' COOL!

Hehehe, he's starting to be my favorite curmudgeony curmudgeon! Only thing missing is him running after miscreants with his pants pulled up to his boobs and change all flyin' out of his pockets.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Good grief. Roy flipping Clark can play better than those guys, and nineteen other instruments to boot. And Chet Atkins, and Les Paul and.......

Oh never mind. Discussion the Arts with kids is a waste of time.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Roy Clark is perhaps the best EVER to pick a guitar, Hendrix was good but not the talent of Mark Knopfler, Carlos Santana and not even in the same church as Roy Clark!
    JMHO
    Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Hendrix stood the guitar and rock world on its collective head. He set an entirely new direction for rock music. Pioneer.

Nobody else mentioned in this thread pioneered anything. No creativity, nothing different, just good solid musicians. That's the difference. They're all good.

You're welcome.

I will acquiesce one point made my Cap'n. Chet Atkins did pioneer a distinct alternate picking style. A right hand technique used by many today, Mark Knoepfler took it to the next level.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Well, there certainly are some older pioneers in the blues genre that were every bit as influential as Jimi. Robert Johnson comes to mind, T-Bone Walker (I'm sure you've heard Stormy Monday), and a few others. I wouldn't put BB in that bunch, they were better. And also there's a white dude that played blues guitar for Hot Tuna and Jefferson Airplane, Jorma Kaukonen that could play blues as well as anybody I've heard.

Jimi was awesome and I would have given my eye teeth to see him play some time. And I agree he was a changer. The music world hasn't been the same since him. But I think was influenced as much as he was an influencer.

I would vote him the best left handed guitar player ever though.

And since we're talking guitar skills, how come nobody has mentioned Leo Kottke? Nobody can touch him.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Check out Dick Dale if you're not familiar with him and his style. Pretty amazing.

I was waiting to see if anyone would call me on my bullshit

Much of what Jimi did, he picked up from Buddy Guy.... Sort of a combined effort. Buddy was to Jimi, as Atkins was to knoepfler.

Dick Dale is a badass. Finally saw him about 10 years ago. He was also a true pioneer.

I've never heard a totally clean fender sound played as loudly as he did. I wouldn't hear a damn thing for almost 24 hours.