Thread: The FDA should list that "new car smell" as an illegal inhalant!

The FDA should list that "new car smell" as an illegal inhalant!

Lynn and I planned on hitting a couple of estate sales yesterday, so headed out early for the first one. On the way to our second stop, we happened to pass by the local Toyota dealer. My truck is due for service ('07 Tacoma which just rolled over 12,000 miles on Friday). So, I told Lynn to pull in and I'd hit my salesman up for a coupon. The dealer gives me a free $25.00 coupon every other month that I can use for anything in the dealership, so basically, our service work is "free". Heck, a lube, oil & filter change is only $12.95 so the $25.00 will pay for an oil change and tire rotation at least. It's a nice little perk and they know I'll be dropping into the dealership regularly. Heck, my buddy and "private" mechanic works there, so I'd be going anydamnway, but what they don't know won't hurt them.

Anyway, I have a GREAT relationship with my salesman and we get along well. In fact, he still owns the '05 Tacoma I traded in for my present '07. Problem is, he also knows my weak points and will not hesitate to exploit them. As soon as we walked in he said, "Oh great! You have Lynn with you!" I KNEW I was in trouble. He told us to come with him as he said he had something to show us. Let me state one thing ... it's DANGEROUS when your salesman knows persactly what you like ... from colors down to particular options ... and he has them all locked into his memory banks. The problem is, Lynn and I have different tastes in some areas ... so each car has to have it's compromises.

DAMN if that SOB didn't nail it yesterday. He took us straight to "our" car and we both fell in love with it ... a 2013 Avalon. We never even glanced at anything else on the lot as it was love at first sight. (they're totally redesigned this year) "Somehow" we ended up in the "rubber room" and I could see where this was headed. Ok, I'll nip this in the bud right quick. I threw him an "impossible" number and told him flat out, if he could hit that number, we'd drive it home today. I had that shit-eatin' grin knowing there was no way in Hell he could meet my price and we'd be walking out in about 10 minutes, but he went to work anyway. He had Lynn's '07 Avalon appraised, fiddled with some figures, met with the Sales Manager and came back to ask if we could put an extra $1000 down? "Nope"! He did some more figuring, consulted with the SM and came back with, "How 'bout $800"? "Nope" He got with the used car appraiser, beat him up a bit and came back with a better appraisal on the trade-in. The final figure was about $75.00/mo. higher than the max I gave him. "Nope ... we have an estate sale to catch ... we really have to get going."

He asks for a few more minutes, meets with the SM again and comes back to the table ... writes a figure on his sales sheet ... slides it over to me and says, "If that will work, just put your initials next to the figure." I'll be damned if he didn't hit it within $6.00/mo. I looked at him and said, "Damn you Daniel, how did you get that?" He told me the Used Car Manager owed him a favor, so he jacked up the appraisal ... plus he gave up his commission on the sale. I told him to quit playing the sympathy card with me 'cause it wasn't gonna work ... why would he go to so much trouble to sell a car if he was making nothing for his effort? He explained they have to meet sales quotas or they get kicked to the curb, so even though he makes nothing on the sale, the sale alone is as valuable to him as the commission, so it's a win-win for both of us.

I'll be damned if we didn't drive out'ta there in a new Avalon yesterday! Heck, I like it so much, Lynn hasn't even driven it yet.

Anyway, we've been doing without so much the past few years and have sacrificed more than anyone even realizes to get our budget totally readjusted ... it was time for a "pick-me-up" and there's NOTHING in the world like that "new car smell" to get the "feel good" senses kicked back into gear. To justify it, we've always had two car payments in the past, but my truck's paid for and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon, so what the heck? Here's some (net) pics of our new baby. Nuttin' on earth like the smell of new leather seats.

Here's one of the compromises I mentioned earlier. Lynn LOVES heated seats. IN FRIGGING FLORIDA! But, she freezes if the temp drops below 75 degrees, so I let her have 'em. The trade-off? I FINALLY got a car without a sunroof which I think is the silliest frigging option available. I think they run about $1800.00 and she's had a sunroof on EVERY car we've owned in the past 28 years. I doubt they've been opened more that 28 times in those 28 years! FINALLY, we have a car without a useless hole in the roof! (the pic is just the heated seat switch)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Jim, does that have the AC in the seats too? A lot of the newer ones with the heated seats also offer the AC so you don't get too hot in the summer too.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Wow.

That's as crazy good looking as you are crazy!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Dang Deppity ... I don't even know. We have friends with the heated and a/c seats, but to be honest, I haven't even looked at the frigging option list on the thing. I was too busy playing with the blue tooth system (have both our cell phones hooked into it now) as well as all the other bells and whistles I was playing with. It even has a built-in i-Pod docking station.

We really enjoyed the last Avalon. What it boils down to is the Toyota Avalon is simply the Lexus ES350 ... but it still has the Toyota price tag. For the money difference, I can live without the Lexus nameplate.

Man do I ever love the smell of new paint. Congrats, Thumper! You deserve it! Nice looking hoopie!
    BKB

Yeah, it's been a change. For many years, we'd get a new car every two years (not counting my VERY high milage accruing work trucks). We never drove our personal cars over 4 years ... I would trade mine, two years later we'd trade hers, etc. etc. BUT ... in '07 I was preparing to shut down my business and had no clue what would happen to my credit afterwards, so I traded BOTH our vehicles in on new '07's. I traded my '05 Tacoma on a new Tacoma (my salesman bought my trade-in) and I traded Lynn's '03 Sequoia in on the '07 Avalon. Two years later, my health problems kicked in and it's been a bitch ever since. Lynn does 90% of the driving, so my truck doesn't see much use other than short, local runs ('07 with 12,000 miles) so her car sees all the milage. It was just like buying a new gun for some of us ... we may not "need" it, we just "want" it ... and that's basically what the sutuation was. I seriously doubted there was any way the dealer would meet my price anyway, so I wasn't too worried. I have to pull my files to make sure, but I think this makes Toyota number 20 for us (counting my work trucks). It took a while to get Lynn converted though ... since we've been together, she's had two BMW's, two Corvettes, then the Toyota Sequoia and the two Toyota Avalons. I think she's finally an official Toyota convert.

Ha ha! Barry Bob ... I have no clue how this thread got double posted. Weird.

Duplicate deleted.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    That's a very nice car, and I'm glad you are getting to enjoy something that you like so much............good for you.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Well thanks Buckster. As you know, I've always loved new cars and it's been a while. I've held onto a few over the years almost forever, I racked up almost 300,000 miles on my first Toyota 4WD pick-up! (1981) But when my business was doing well, I always LOVED to change (personal) cars regularly. It may come from my dealership experience. I drove nothing but new Cadillacs for close to 20 years and the absolute maximum time I'd keep a car was 6 months (or 6000 miles, whichever came first) ... then I'd pick out a new one and start over. Old habits are hard to break I suppose.

Nice Hoopie there Thumper! Congrats one the new ride. I know Lynn deserves on for putting up with your old arse.... My new truck has the heater/AC seats and I did not think I would ever use them but they are nice... I right there with you on the sun/moon roof! My last truck, the 2500 HD had one and all Cheryl's Suburbans had them. We NEVER used them. So neither of our new rides have em. I really like the color of your new buggy, nice. That will make for a comfortable ride in all y'all's travels..
    Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Yeah, I just noticed that seat switch has a blue side and a red side, so I have to assume that's a/c and heat. It rained all weekend so I haven't had much time to play with all the bells & whistles yet. We have a trip planned next month and will be hitting Scottsboro, Alabama ... then a few days in Nashville, then drop down to spend a few more days in Atlanta and hopefully hook up with Co9 and Di before heading home, so I guess we'll get it broken in.

It's really not a whole lot different than the Avalon we traded in as far as interior goes. The outside styling is quite different though and I was never crazy about the color on the other car, but she liked it. I never did figure out the color persactly. In certain light, it looked pale green ... then other times it looked like a powder blue.

But what I hated was the interior color. It was a very light beige and almost impossible to keep clean. Just body oil from your hands would make the steering wheel look filthy and I had to constantly clean it. The same with the seats and floormats ... dirty shoes on light carpet doesn't cut it. Here's the interior we had on the trade-in. It looked nice on the lot, but in the real world, was impossible to keep clean.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I have a sun roof on my truck and use it almost every day. The back sliding glass is electric so I open the sunroof and the back and it pulls air through.

That would be important in your truck, Hombre.
    BKB

Yep ... Lynn smells MUCH better than Hombre ... so we just don't need quite that much ventilation!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    That is one FINE looking car Thumper, congrats to you and Lynn on a much deserved "just because."

Thumper, isn't that car a hybrid? How is the power? Four cylinder engine and electric motor right? curious as to how it drives.

BKB