Thread: Old stuff on the Gunflint Trail

Old stuff on the Gunflint Trail

I was listening to Science Friday this PM and heard the oldest fossil as yet found on Earth was discovered on the Gunflint trail in MN. Over 2 Billion years old, it was a sulfate reducing bacteria; the same general type that produces the "rotten egg" smell in rotten eggs, or makes sewer gas, or flatulence.

I know Posthole goes up that way from time to time, but I don't think he left it; when this particular bacterium was alive the atmosphere was mostly CO2, CH$ and H2S. Oxygen would tend to thin out these critters, but plants were just begining to use photosynthesis.

Well, hey Skip! Good to see you post. I've been wondering about you. Finally fished Bluestem and Keith and I cussed you when we drove through just for shots and grins.

I've spent quite a bit of time on the Gunflint Trail and have fished several lakes up in the Arrowhead country. Any time you think of the word 'pre-cambrian', that land up there fits the bill to a tee. Maybe a quarter inch of topsoil and the trees spread their fingers in and on bare rock. Clear waters and northern lights. I miss it, and would love togo back but being on fish and purty country elsewhere makes a trip up there look less and less like it'll happen. I like the shield country a lot. Those glaciers must've been something.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Glad to see you back here Herb.

Stop in more often.