Thread: Got'r Done (Pics)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Got'r Done (Pics)

Well here's how things turned out with my daughter's first buck. My friend did most of the taxidermy and I did most of the habitat. I think it turned out pretty good for a couple old blind guys.
    The most important thing is my daughter loves it.

Habitat close up.

One last pic at a different angle.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    That looks great.

MAN! I keep looking at that thing.....just in awe. You guys have some incredible talent over there. That is a fine buck and y'all's mounting of it turned out super. Any hunter would be proud to have that mount hanging on their wall. ONE of these days, I'm gonna kill a deer worthy of being mounted.....I just hope whoever I find to do it does as good a job as you two!
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Great-looking mount, Sky!!!
    Southern Gentleman

Thanks guys. Niner you'll get a good buck one of these years. You keep working that piece of ground of yours and I'll bet it happens sooner than later. There are some extremely talented taxidermist in the South. Eddie has one there in MS that is one of the best I've seen. In fact if I lived in the South he's the only guy I'd let touch my deer mounts.

Just for fun here is some close ups of the finish work. It's the little things like this that I think really set apart good taxidermy from the not so good stuff.

Nose

Lip line

Eye

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Did Brent do that work or someone else?

Troy, just curious if there's some sort of connection with the habitat choices that you'd have had to been there to know. I've not seen that before with a mount and its pretty cool. Kind of a remider of where you were sitting, or something you saw, whatever, when she took that buck.

BKB

Brent and I combined on the finish work. He did some and I did some. For example he did the nodules on the nose. I sculpted the bottom lip. We both messed with the eyes quite a bit.

BBP, glad you asked. The first time we saw this buck it was as he was getting ready to cross a creek and then come up into an alfalfa field to eat. I wanted to re-create that first moment we saw him. I'm pleased with the results.

And you'll both see that in your head every timeyou look at that. Very nicely done.
    BKB

I really like that mount B/S ... but I'm trying to figure out how it will be displayed. Will you mount it low on the wall? Possibly with the base on an "end table" and the head secured to the wall? Or is it meant to be mounted relatively high like most heads would be mounted? I like the base ... just don't know persactly how you'll mount it so it displays well.

Question #2 ... is the blue background photoshopped in? The head seems to be throwing a shadow on the blue background ... but I can't figure what the background actually is. Then to confuse things even more ... the background in the close-up shots is tan.

I use a blue background (same persact color actually) on 90% of my e-Bay photos ... but it's simply a large piece of blue fabric I use for the shots.

Just curious.

Jim, I used a blue background to take the first set of photos. No it's not Photoshopped in...as for figuring out exactly what the background is, that's my little secret.

The mount for now will go on the floor. Later I may create a stand for it. It is meant to be viewed from below eye level not above or even at eye level.