Thread: Live-lining in the Chesapeake Bay Fishing for Stripers

Live-lining in the Chesapeake Bay Fishing for Stripers

So, now that trophy Striper season has ended, we tried live-lining for them. That is when you catch a mess of Spot, put them in the livewell, then find Stripers holding to structure and let the live Spot swim free on a circle hook and wait for the action. We chose to drift as we live-lined, and I've got to say it is pretty relaxing until you have multiple fish on at the same time.

Now I know it can't always be this easy, but we limited out by 11:10 AM on Saturday. If we'd known ahead of time that we'd be throwing at least six back while we culled for biggest fish, we could have either been done sooner, or had more big fish in the final tally of filets.

Conditions were about perfect: just a slight breeze, sunny and about mid-80s, with the water in the mid to high 70s.

Here is a pic of the results:
    130622 Stripers.jpg

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Nice!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    That sounds, and looks, like a great way to spend a Saturday! Sure beats digging out stumps, moving trees, and cutting down trees of that I can assure you.

Looks like you're enjoying captaining that new boat, Egghead! Nice mess of fish! Don't forget the skinny water though!
    BKB

sigh....

Nice feeshies!

The big fish looks like it would have been a hell of a fight on spinning tackle!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I'm wondering if a spot is the same thing as a threadfin shad. They have a spot on 'em and was just wondering if its the same baitfish. That's a common method for fishing for hybrids and stripers in the reservoirs here too only I don't think it's called live-lining. Same thing though. nothing but a bare hook and a live shad drifted. Sometimes they'll use toy balloons as a strike indicator.

BKB

A strike indicator? is that anything like a bobber ya fancy pants nancy boy?
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Hey, I was trying to be nice! Those striper people and fly fishermen call 'em strike indicators. And you gotta get 'em at Orvis.

BKB