Thread: The Man-Eaters......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Man-Eaters......

Our local library had a big sale last week. They were selling off some of their older books.....I assume to make room for some new stock or somesuch.

I went by to see what the deal was. They had a teeny-tiny section of the library partitioned off and had the For Sale stuff in there. It was quite a mixed bag. I'd gotten there on the second day of the sale. My sister had been there the day before and said the place was "mobbed". I picked up a couple of woodworking books, and also got a stained glass book for the Mrs.

One book that caught my eye and I just had to get was J.H. Patterson's "The Man-Eaters of Tsavo".....in hardly-used hardback. (Odd thing about this book is it never had a "card thingy" glued inside, and they didn't stamp it with their library stamp on the edge of the pages like I am sure you've all seen on library books.) Not a bad deal for 12.5 cents!

This is the true first-hand tale of a pair of man-eating lions that literally stopped progress on construction of a railway line in East Africa in the late 1800's. They made a movie out of it some years back called "The Ghost and The Darkness". It's a pretty good read. Patterson's style is a bit "Victorian" and he uses words and phrases that ya just don't hear in modern parlance.

Anyways..........I do a good bit of reading, but mostly periodicals and how-to books. Kind of nice to sit down with a book that tells a story for a change. AND to MAKE TIME for it!!!
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Not a good thing tooo be down on the food chain, the movie was top shelf!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    If you like that one co-9, you might try "Death in the Long Grass" by Peter Capstick.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein