Thread: Fishing Variety Pack

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Fishing Variety Pack

I got up this morning at 4:15am and headed up the mountain to do a little mountain stream fishing. I was on the water by 5:15am. I fished until 8:30am and enjoyed pretty much every minute of it. I caught around 20 or more trout. The really fun part (I mean besides fighting the fish) was never knowing what kind of trout I would catch. I got a good mix of rainbows, brookies, and browns. Pretty darn cool when a guy can catch a variety like that out of the same creek.

My fly fishing buddies call spin fishing (sin fishing). If that's the case I'm a die-hard sinner. Here's just a few pic's.

I don't know what size trout y'all catch but from a small mountain streams, but these trout are all pretty fair sized for around here.

Nothing like seeing a rainbow first thing in the morning to get one's day off to a great start.

While rainbows are purty little creatures there is just something extra special about brooke trout in a high mountain stream. I've caught them in some of the most rugged and remote places the West has to offer. This morning wasn't rugged or remote, just beautiful, quite, and only me on the creek.

To me, the brown trout are the tough guys of the trout world. They have varacious appetites. They fight hard and live in the most difficult fishing holes. Usually there is a tree roots or downed tree's in every really good brown trout hole and they know how to use every inch of it to break a line. I always enjoy it when I out-smart these fiesty fish.

I'm with you on the spinner reel... I just cannot get the hang of a fly rod either....
    That sounds and looks like a VERY relaxing way to spend a day, I'm extremely jealous! Wish I was there.
    Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Thanks Captain. Just for good measure I whacked a coyote at 320 yards this afternoon as well. It has been a good day.

You REALLY know how to hurt a feller, that's been out on a tractor and mower in the heat for 12 hours today....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

....and only me on the creek.
    With fish like that ... there'd be elebenty-bazillion nutbags standing in a creek like that around here (IF we had trout creeks)! That's one of the things that makes Montana special.

I'm with you ... I do almost EVERYTHING with a spinning reel.

Dadgumit man!! I am going to HAVE to get out that way. I like fly fishing ok, but it is (to me) a lot of work...probably because I'm not that good at it. Now spinner fishing....YEPPERS I am good to go with that.

Here's a little trout fishing tip, that you can either use or not....but it really works for me. Try this lure... http://www.cremelure.com/store/store...&Category_ID=1 . Rig them "Carolina Style", with a small split shot about 15" to 20" up from the worm with a #10 hook. I used to use this rig almost exclusively when we used to fish for river trout. I always had rooster tails, super vibrax, and rapalas in the box, but had the best luck with these little 3.5" worms ......and didn't cry when loosing a 25 cent rig instead of a $5 lure on the bottom. I had the best luck with red ones.

If...no WHEN...I get out there to try my hand at Montana trout fishing, you can bet I'll have some of these rascals along with me.

Color_428.jpg
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    WE HAVE A FISHING FORUM.

Nice feeshes. Sorta small for trout, but hey..........they're in small water (sorry, can't resist trout digs at folks!!)...... Taste like crap, but nice to catch. Only way worth eating them is to skin and gut, cut off head, and wrap about 10 of the small ones up in alum foil with a ton of real cow butter, and put on grill. Larrupin' that way.

I tried a fly rod once, myself. I couldn't get the little suckers to bite that small of a hook though.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Never tried trout fishing but I love to fish with my flyrod. Give them panfish fits with a popper or with a wet fly. looks like fishing a stream the current would do half the work
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Niner, you really do have to slip out this way sometime. If you want to hit the peek of fishing plan your trip for the first two weeks of July. That's when the streams are usually done flooding. The first two weeks of low/clear water tends to be outstanding and is generally that first two weeks of July. If one just want to catch brown trout, the last week of October into the first week of November can be just stupid good. They are spawning during that time of year. They migrate up from the Missouri River into the creek near my house and they are really aggressive and easy to catch.

That looks like a great little trip. I noticed what appears to be an intentional lack of detail about the bait used. I see what looks like a bare hook with no indication of what was on it previously
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

You mean what's hangin' out of the rainbow's mouth, Len?
    I think it is probably part of an in-line spinner. Most likely a rooster tail.

But that's just a novice noticer's guess.

.............Then again, being as he's an old Road Hunter and general scofflaw, he might have been using one of these for bait and a dip net for catching.
    Megger.jpg
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Looks like a grand time BS.

Bait, spinners, rapalas, and even flies...I use whatever the fish are hungry for. I'm not picky except for the fact I like "catching" fish more than just fishing for them.