Thread: Since ya'll mentioned plumbing, etc.....

Since ya'll mentioned plumbing, etc.....

Gotta replace the central ac/heat unit at the lakehouse....previous owner told me it was about fubar, when we did the first walk-thru before the purchase.

Reputable company just up the road from the lakehouse gave me the best and lowest quote.

Here's what I'm getting:

>New 3 ton Trane outside unit
    >New Trane air-handler inside unit
    >New digital themostat
    >Relocating and installing ductwork for a new and larger return-air vent
    >Installing new ductwork for an additional air vent in den
    >Install all necessary electrical supply

What's yall's guess, as to the turn-key cost of this job??? Winner gets a snow cone mailed to them.
    Southern Gentleman

$1100

BKB

$8,700

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    $1100

BKB

In your dreams....that might pay for the labor.
    Southern Gentleman

well, when you said you got a great deal I was thinking maybe he found some equipment or something and was doing it for cost and labor.
    that, and I just wrote down the first number that popped into my head.
    BKB

Never said a word about a great deal....just that they were the best and lowest quote....you musta never had to replace an entire central ac/heat system.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I did a 6 ton for $6,500 so I'll guess $8,500.......being in the hinterlands and all.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I think mine ran around $5000 -$5500 if I remember correctly.

My guess is $6000.00
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I replaced a smaller unit without the duct work for $4500 about a year ago. That was a pretty good deal for my area. So, I'm guessing $5-6k.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Looks like sno cone man flew the coop.

Which is what I'm about to do!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

SO WHAT WAS THE FINAL ESTIMATE? COME BACK AND GIVE US OUR SNOW CONE!

Just walked in the door a little while ago from a small business trip, then on the way home, I dropped by the lakehouse to check on things.

The guys had installed the new Trane 3 ton outside unit, the air handler system, and all the duct work and new outlet vents.

They left it set on 74 degrees, and I swear I coulda chilled down sides of beef in there!!!

If you are familiar with Trane products, they pretty much set the standard in commercial HVAC, and their residential products usually run a thousand bucks or more than Rheem, Lennox, etc., which he quoted me each at $4200.

This Trane model carries a full 10 year warranty, an energy tax credit, and nearly all of the residential products are made in the good ole U.S.A.

A buddy talked me into paying the extra bucks for the Trane, and besides, the company owner has a lakehouse a few doors down from me, and has already started bugging me about how I catch my crappie.

Oh yeah, total bill was $5335, including tax....For an entire Trane system, and all the extra duct and elec. work, I thought it was a heck of a deal.

(PS. Since everyone participated with a guess, I mailed out snow cones to every single one of you, this afternoon. If yall don't get 'em, blame the gov't post office. )
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 08-12-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Ya can't stop a Trane.

BKB

Mine is a Nordyne. I was told it is the last central a/c unit totally made and assembled in the USA, and even they are about to change........

Here's some interesting info:

http://www.hvac-for-beginners.com/ai...r-ratings.html
    Last edited by Buckrub; 08-12-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Never heard of most of those companies on your link....must be some small local markets.

Trane and American Standard are the same products....both manufactured by Ingersoll-Rand.

My Trane guy asked if I wanted to hook up my unit's controls to my cellphone for an extra $300 bucks....he showed me how it works with his own home unit, being hooked up via his cellphone....that's some neat sheeit!!!

Just pick up your cellphone, and monitor and/or change the temp settings on your HVAC unit from your cellphone....that'd be real convenient and handy and safe to be able to monitor, and turn the ac or heat on before you arrive, so the house will be comfortable, when you get there.

I said heck yeah, I want it!!!....then, he said, you DO have home internet service at your lakehouse, don't you???....NOPE, we just use our cellphones, when we are there....he said I gotta have home internet service for it to work....so, I'll have to forego that little convenience, for now........bummer.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 08-12-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Trane is on the link. They all are.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Trane is on the link. They all are.
    Yep, saw it, hence my statement that Trane and American Standard are the same products....but, there's a bunch on there I never heard of.
    Southern Gentleman

Yeah, me too. Seems they are all going overseas or WAY south.............sad.

Your link is interesting....I read about it's editor....get ac/heat info. and religion at the same website....not being critical about him, at all....just an interesting website.
    Southern Gentleman

I just Googled "Tell me about all the central a/c units" and that one came up. I have no clue.

Prolly ought to get your religion summers else.....

Hey! All those sno-cones should be mine! I just went back through and made a note of what everyone posted and came up with this:

$1100
    $8700
    $8500
    $9750
    $6000
    $5000-$6000

My figure was $5000-$5500 and your actual total was $5335! Can't get much closer than that! All o'youse losers forward those sno-cones to my address when you get them.