Thread: Speaking of having to say goodbye to our family dogs....

Speaking of having to say goodbye to our family dogs....

Eddie's journey got me to thinking about Jesse and how the hole she left in our lives it still very much there. I'm not even sure how long it's been now. At least 5 years. I still miss her, especially when life gets the better of me and I'm feeling down.

Attachment 1572Attachment 1573
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    That feeling never 100% goes away.

As time goes by, its not so painful, but its alway there.

What gets us through the loss, are our wonderful memories
    Those you can keep for your lifetime.

I miss every single one of my dogs, and I will still well up with tears, talking about them.

My love for each of them, is still as strong as when they were here with me.

Each new pup helps subside the pain, because of the unconditional love each one gives. .

With each new pup, that void is filled with new adventure, laughter and training.

From the goofy, clumsy, tail chasing nut, to your unconditional faithful companion and best friend.

Always trying to please us, for what? Food, care and love!!

Loosing these precious animals, are like ripping our hearts out, but I'd take that pain to be able to enjoy 10-15 yrs of the love that animal will give and receive.

From the puppy kisses, on our cheeks with those sloppy wet tongues, to the muddy paw shakes!! Nothing but searching eyes, looking for happiness in our faces.

As we get older, our life styles also change.
    Some just can't afford to have another dog and if they retire and travel a lot, having a dog can be difficult.

I'm glad I'm not at that stage, in my life, and still can enjoy my faithful friends.
    I'd rather be around my dogs then a lot of human's.

These dogs are with me 99.9% time.
    I'm not with humans that much.

They don't judge me, but just do things to make me laugh!!

This dang new pup can grab a toy and shake his head so hard, you'd think his head would fly off.
    Several times he's shook a toy and his head, so hard, he lost his balance.
    I can't help but laugh, when he does it.

Yes I still miss all my past dogs, but it doesn't hurt as bad with having these guys.

If its possible, depending on life changes, I hope to always have a dog in my life.

Len, since you posted a pic of your pet, I just couldn't help myself, to do the same.

Here's our little Papillon , who is now romping in doggy heaven:

IMG_0015_1_6_1.JPG
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    One - good thing - My dog's hunting abilities improve in direct correlation to how long they've been dead.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    One - good thing - My dog's hunting abilities improve in direct correlation to how long they've been dead.
    Hahaha, that's prolly true of humans, too, Hide.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    Hidehunter's Ratio.

This ought to be in the Goodhunting Hall of Fame.

BKB

Here's a pic of my daughter's goofy ol' Rottweiler. Hew was, as they say, a Damned Good Dog. He was her "protector" while she was living by herself when she was going to UGA, and then after she moved back here and was living by herself. I had ALWAYS thought of the breed as aggressive, and unpredictable. In fact, we were a little scarred for her when she got him. HA! I remember my wife telling her "He'll eat your face off!". Nothing could have been further from the truth. He was an excellent judge of humans too. If he did not like someone, there was 99.999% chance they were shady.

When she was transferred to KY, he had to stay with us for several months until she could find and buy a house....couldn't have a "vicious breed" in a corporate apartment ya know. Not long after we got the old boy moved up there with her, she discovered some lumps in his chest. She took him to the vet, and they said it was Canine Lymphoma.

Funny thing. She has another Rottie now, and he has a TOTALLY different personality. Talk about a big goofy dog! One example is her old Rottie LOVED the water. When she'd bring him out to The Farm, the FIRST thing he'd do is make a bee line for the lake and jump in. Summer...Winter....made no difference to him. Her new pup HATES the water.

IMG_0396.JPG
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Niner, I know what you mean about Rotties. I got one from my sister as gift when I turned 22 or 23, I wanted a dog but didn't know what kind. She happen to have a friend bred them so she got me one. I was kind of leery not because I was afraid of them or bough into the stereotypes I just had never really considered them when I thought about what type of dog I wanted. He was the pick of the litter and literally twice the size of all the other pups. He grew up to be the one of the biggest Rotties I have ever seen. He was the best dog I have ever owned and like your daughters first one he was spot on when it came to judging folks. He generally liked most folks but if he didn't like or trust somebody there was a 95% chance they were a P.O.S.. I had him 14 years before I had to put him down and it crushed me, I swore off ever owning another dog. That was on a Monday by Saturday afternoon I had bought my current baby "Grendel" a Neapolitan mastiff. I really like rotties but at the time I don't think I could have owned one, it would have been to hard but I would definitely own another one.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Years ago, when our son was a teenager, we bought him a Rott....wonderful dog and companion for him, and not a mean bone in his body.

One day, a lady from church, begged my wife to adopt one of the kittens from her litter.

Over my objections(I hate cats---always will), my wife said yes, and bought the little kitten home....she put the kitten down on the patio to walk around and get used to the place.

Wally, the Rott, calmly walked over, sniffed the furry little bastage, and in one chomp, bit his head off....I mean, clean off!!!

Good dog!!!!
    Southern Gentleman

I guess they are natural enemies in the world of predators, although I don't know if they run across each other that often in the wild. Speaking of......Keith and I saw a big old bobcat, had to have been over knee high, while we were headed into the place where we fish last Sunday.

Oh, and we were out worshippin' too. Fishing just happened to be the way we were going about it.

BKB