Thread: Mt. Lion

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

Mt. Lion

Arkansas has NO mountain lions. The experts say so. I discussed this with none other than the Public Relations Officer of the AGFC, who said if there is one, it's 'feral', and no native, wild mountain lions exist.

Never mind that every deer camp in Arkansas has game cam pics of them. Never mind that at least 10% of the hunters here have seen them.

We've argued for years whether the tracks in our roads are Mt. Lion or Big Bobcat (which we shoot a lot of). Today on ArkansasHunting.Net is this quote from a guy. Note that our camp is 4 miles south of Princeton:

Mt. Lion sighted this morning on way to dove hunt

I was driving down to our camp this morning to meet up with a couple of guys to dove hunt around 4:45 am north of Princeton
    at the intersection of Hwy. 48 to Carthage and Hwy. 9. I was headed south down Hwy. 9 toward Camden and could hardly believe
    my eyes when I see a large mountain lion that was probably 8 feet long from end of tail to his head and coat was tawny in color
    cross Hwy. 9 in front of me. The tail was very long and mountain lion was less than 40 yards from the front of my truck. It was not
    on a dead run, but wasn't walking either. It turned and looked at my vehicle as it crossed the highway. Pretty Cool.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    sure glad the Arkansas Game & Fish assures me there ain't no catamounts around here. So that means that big long tailed cat critter I saw and that my buddy got on his deer cam must be a mutated bobkitty. I can sleep better at night knowing the deer on my lease are safe. Surely I can trust them, after all they are the govmint xperts.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Wildman Wilson told me they exist, but they are all feral, escaped.

I said "And if they escaped in 1930, what diff would that make?" and he had no answer.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Then why is it illegal to kill one of these non existent critters? Riddle me that Catman.

BKB

My Ark Game and Fish guy said that they could not care less if you shoot one. They said they don't regulate them, and have no interest in whether "pets" are killed or not.

Seriously. That's a quote. I asked him directly.

Administrator
    They say the same thing about upstate NY, but I've seen the tracks. Once, I think one was growling a few feet away while I was in my ground blind, but I was too chicken to look.

--Foo