Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New house in NJ

Administrator

New house in NJ

After 4 years in Snookieville, we finally closed on a house this week. The prices here are abusive, though-- Our new place is a modest 1948 Colonial. $1.15M. That's just c-r-a-a-a-z-y. To add insult to injury, we had to pay a 1% MANSION tax. Does this look like a mansion to you?

house.jpg

--Foo
    Last edited by FooBang; 09-02-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Nice house, but you'd be sick if you knew what kind of place that would buy you in many parts of Montana.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    New Jersey?

get a rope
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Glad to hear you got your own digs but HOLY MOLY houses are WAY spendy out there.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    There's a house very much like that in the old part of our town that just sold for around $118,500.

Seriously.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Where's the little statue of the black guy with the lantern and the little red cap?
    BKB

Administrator
    I know that house would be a million dollars less just about anywhere else in the country.. I WAS looking at a place down by Cappy earlier, when I was thinking about moving my team down there. That money would have bought a real mansion with a gate and fountain in the middle of the driveway.

We are paying for the ability to get to Midtown Manhattan in 23 minutes, unless it's a work day, which takes an hour and 40 minutes. Parking (in NJ) and ferry tickets cost about $700 bucks/month. You know, when they say that the 1% should pay more taxes, they're not really considering how very f*ing much it costs to just exist here.

--Foo
    Last edited by FooBang; 09-02-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Why on earth would anyone go to midtown Manhattan???? Ugh.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Administrator
    There are nice things in NY, once you get away from Times Square. All locals avoid Times Square like the plague that it is.

--Foo

I'll take your word for it.

I want my epitaph to read:

He never ate a whole bagel and he never went to New York.

Administrator
    True story: I brought by brother to Manhattan and he had a panic attack and had to leave. This is a guy who has spent time in Kosovo, Guantanamo and Iraq (both wars). Too many people everywhere, like roaches. Big stinky, touristy roaches.

--Foo

No. The windows on the dormer to the right aren't even square.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I'll stop complaining about how much I paid for my 1949 Cape Cod that is a similar distance to downtown DC. Manhattan is a great place to depend some time. Not sure I want to live there though.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I hope you got a lot of land with that thing.
    14,000 Sq. Ft. Keep in mind, we've been looking for 4 years now to find a place we could afford that wasn't a total $#1+hole. We looked at one place-- it was a 1940, asbestos-filled house with a sagging roof for $1.5M that was owned by two surgeons. I was walking through the place thinking, "are you kidding me? This is what 2 surgeons can afford!!?"

--Foo
    Last edited by FooBang; 09-02-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    No. The windows on the dormer to the right aren't even square.
    Heh. Didn't notice that. Must be a google artifact.

--Foo

Administrator
    No, that's lot size.. 100ft x 140ft. House is 3120 sq. ft.

Administrator
    Not gated. See, the way things work in the northeast is that there is *no* open space. It is one city. One neighborhood that stretches from Boston to DC and contains about 50 million people. Coming from the midwest, it was frustrating at first that the neighborhood never, ever, really ended. It *just* keeps on going.

--Foo

Administrator
    Would you believe this place is $3M???

..or this one at $4m?

Totally insane.

--Foo

I for one, think it's pretty dang cool
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    I for one, think it's pretty dang cool
    What's cool, Len? Ass-rapery?

--Foo

I'm going to sleep well knowing that I live in a 2 million dollar home. At least if it were moved to NJ.

When I go to NJ, I used to stay in Basking Ridge, which is one of those real corporate kind of places like the Woodlands in Houston. Lots of headquarters buildings built in the woods. Last few rimes I was up there I stayed in Morristown just a few miles up the road and a really nice little burg. The real estate prices I noticed there were in the range or a bit higher then what Foo found. Beautiful place though.

Congrats, Foo! Hope you family likes it! A very nice looking home.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Foo, that's a Cap Code or Bungalow, neat house, you should love it.
    Being from MI you know what that kind of money would buy on the water up here. Someday when you sell that place and come home you can sit on your deck and watch this kind of sunset over the lake.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    When I go to NJ, I used to stay in Basking Ridge, which is one of those real corporate kind of places like the Woodlands in Houston. Lots of headquarters buildings built in the woods. Last few rimes I was up there I stayed in Morristown just a few miles up the road and a really nice little burg. The real estate prices I noticed there were in the range or a bit higher then what Foo found. Beautiful place though.

BKB
    Thanks, bbp! BTW, I hunt on the black river WMA, which is in Randolph, right near Morristown. Beautiful place there. I think out that way, you actually get more for your money..

I have 2880 square feet, 2 car carport plus 2 car garage, and 1.1 wooded acre, in city limits. Last appraisal about $125,000.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    I have 2880 square feet, 2 car carport plus 2 car garage, and 1.1 wooded acre, in city limits. Last appraisal about $125,000.
    I envy you, there.. Sometimes, I ask myself if killing myself to make more money is worth it, when the cost of things here to achieve it is always beyond reach. The man is always fixing the game. You just can't win.

--Foo

I didn't win???

dang******

Administrator
    BBP, here is a map of NJ. Morris town is in the area denoted as "Executives living mansions driving Mercedes Benz". Incidentally, I live in "Well to-do conservatives. Christie country." Which is about right.

Freaky fact: My kids get Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and the Chinese New Year off from school.

Ulv7bjl.jpg

--Foo
    Last edited by FooBang; 09-02-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Whoever wrote "Pretty Much Alabama"...............has never been to Alabama................... ha.

Foo, there's a pretty cool little park there where Washington and the Continental Army spent a winter or two, the first being the critical winter of 1777 when the army was falling apart after Trenton and Washington kept them together.

Lots of history up there among the equestrian centers and yuppies. I still haven't been able to find a liquor store there though!

BKB