Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New house in NJ

Nice diggs! Congratulations, nothin' like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I learned a LONG time ago you can't compare house prices with where "you" live and where "I" live ... it doesn't work. I learned that after moving to L.A. in the '70's. My first house would have been a $25,000-$30,000 house where I lived in Florida, but was $120,000 in a suburb of L.A. (like yours, 30-40 mins. out of L.A. ... or 1 1/2 hrs. on a work day). The same house would have been $850,000 and in an "average" neighborhood in L.A. proper (NOT the beach, Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Brentwood, Hollywood Hills, etc. which would have been in the millions)

BUT ... it's all relative. I was paid $100,000 way back then in L.A. ... which would have been prolly $15,000-$18,000/yr. here in Florida.

That said, congrats on the new digs Foo ... you're lucky to have only spent 4 years searching!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    That said, congrats on the new digs Foo ... you're lucky to have only spent 4 years searching!
    Thanks, Thumpy. I can only take comfort in the fact that I can sell the place for at least as much as I paid for it. Unless that bubble pops. Always the bubble..

--Foo

Quote Originally Posted by FooBang View Post
    Thanks, Thumpy. I can only take comfort in the fact that I can sell the place for at least as much as I paid for it. Unless that bubble pops. Always the bubble..

--Foo
    There's still a bubble? I thought that thing already popped! I figured you bought at the best time and it can only go up from here. Prices are still super depressed here. I lived in my L.A. (area) house for 9 years. Did zero improvements other than a coat of paint and doubled my $$$ (literally) when I sold it. I bought my house here 24 years ago and the current appraisal is just barely above what I paid for it in Aug. '89!

'Course, it's a 2-story w/pool on an acre lot at the end of a cul-de-sac in a nice neighborhood on a very large, clean, spring-fed lake with private dock/boat ramp and I only paid $115,000. Heck, I even have a 900 sq. ft. attached garage. I can back a decent sized boat straight in (trailer and all), park a car next to it, close the door and still have plenty of room to walk around in there. As I said ... it's all relative ... the avg. income here is pretty sucky and "decent" jobs are scarce, but you just don't need as much.

We can all sit here and "compare" prices and tell what "we" got for x-amount of $$$ ... but it doesn't mean squat unless we live next door to each other. Sunny for example (not "picking", just making a point) ... she says she likes living in the boonies and having lots of property. That's fine ... problem is, hubby has to "commute" so far to make a living, he has to spend the week in a camper and only come home a few weekends/year. There's that word "relative" again. There's always a trade-off somewhere in the equation.

Heck, look at what you paid for that place "on the water" you had down here. What would THAT cost up there?

Administrator
    JB, just saw your post. That picture made me miss Michigan, but then I remembered the 9 months of winter...

--Foo

Administrator
    Thump,
    My place on the water in st. Pete would be unattainable up here. Anything on the water in NJ starts at a gazillion dollars.

--Foo

Nice crib bro!
    The trees in the back are big enough to hang a tree stand.

Administrator
    Thanks, Arty. Plenty of trees and lots of room, but unfortunately, one is not permitted to discharge a weapon or even shoot a bow in my town. We are overrun with mangy deer.

--Foo

It is crazy what the housing/land market is in different parts of the country.
    That is a very nice mansion you've got there, Foo.

When I win the lottery, and have a milllllion dollllllars burning a hole in my pocket, I sure would like to move out to the Big Sky country of Montana.
    http://www.landsofmontana.com/montan...ana/id/1143195
    Until then, I'll be content with our 5 acres and house here "in town" (well...not too far from "town"), and The Farm with its pond and lil cabin.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Administrator
    That's a nice piece of property right there. I'm afraid the missus would never agree to live anywhere remote. That's why I was thinking that NC would be a nice compromise. I could get some land and she could enjoy the shops and whatnot near Cary.. One day...

--Foo

Cary is a great town/area.
    We're about an hour from there.
    Ritzi place.