Thread: What is this?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

What is this?

I came across this while on my hike yesterday. I'm sure it's related to mining, but I have no idea what it is or what it's used for?

The way its riverted up so strongly makes me think its some sort of boiler.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    That's a very large piece of riveted, circular, rusted metal.

You're welcome.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Looks like the front part of an old railroad locomotive, but I remember somewhere else someone posted a similar picture and it was reported to be the boiler of an old steam engine that powered waterpumps for mines.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

I love finding old stuff when hiking through the woods.
    That's real neat, whatever it is.

Wonder what Kribbs could get for it on eBay?
    BKB

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I find old stuff in the woods all the time, old cigarette butts, old beer cans, old Skoal cans, old plastic bags from chips, old vienna sausage cans
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Vienna sausages (VI-ennie Sausage if you're from here) is one of those foods that you can never find anyone that will admit to liking or eating, but you sure as heck find a lot of their empty cans lying around. Why are vienna sausage eaters such litterbugs? Huh?

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Barry, count me in as a fan of Vienna sausages. I love to throw a couple cans in my pack and enjoy them in some remote location. However, I do have a confession to make. While I don't just toss the can out on the ground I do bury them and put a big rock over them when I'm done. The reason is the cans are full of that jelly like stuff they pack the sausages in and I don't want any of that junk leaking out and getting in my pack. I could possibly put them in a zip lock and haul them out, but I'd run the risk of the lid cutting the bag and then I'd have a nasty mess. I'm not sure why others leave them, but it's the same reason I also bury my kippered snack cans as well. Just too dang messy.

I prefer Underwoods devilled ham (what is the process for 'devilling'?) to vienna sausages. I imagine both are pretty disgusting but heck, I love souse too and its more disgusting than either of those.
    BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    Looks like the front part of an old railroad locomotive, but I remember somewhere else someone posted a similar picture and it was reported to be the boiler of an old steam engine that powered waterpumps for mines.
    I was going to say a donkey engine but they usually sit vertically. It's a steam boiler of some kind.

Will

Pretty sure that's Bucky's last smoker. It wouldn't hold 220 degrees in a 89mph nor'east gale in December so he threw it away for the piece of crap it was.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Dang.

Sure looks like it'd make a nice smoker. With some help and ingenuity. Bet Cappy could do it.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Looks alot like the steam-fired tractors you find at the oldtime steam-threshing events they have around here.

Perhaps it was used to help cut the logs for the cabin or maybe to run a conveyor for moving stuff out of the mine?

Worlds most powerful bong?
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

My guess is its a boiler for some steam engine. Looks like water baffles and a fire box below (or to the side as it lays)
    Whatever it is, is cool and I love to have it
    Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!