Thread: Hey, Buckney, your GMC truck.....

Hey, Buckney, your GMC truck.....

What's the model, etc.???

I "might" have some inside info. for you about that new GMC truck that you're looking for.
    Southern Gentleman

Hmmmm....you ain't replied, so I guess you no longer need that truck info.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    No, I just have a life!

Chevy 2500 with the L86 motor in 6.2L with 4.10 rear end.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

BTW ... the L86 option is the code for the 6.2L engine.

Don't know about the 2500 ... but here's the 1500. If you can get the same package (except maybe the 4:11 gears?) in the 1500, why would you want the expense of the 2500?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/05...s-62l-v-8.html
    Last edited by Thumper; 09-07-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: and

My "source" says October 31st....suggests that if you want one, you better put your name on the list.
    Southern Gentleman

[QUOTE=Thumper, Don't know about the 2500 ... but here's the 1500. If you can get the same package (except maybe the 4:11 gears?) in the 1500, why would you want the expense of the 2500?

What's a few extra bucks to a big stepper like Bucky???
    Southern Gentleman

Not sure Bucky's choice of dealers even have a list. According to him, they're pretty clueless.

I have a half ton. It won't pull well enough. The L86 is not just code for 6.2....it's code for the new 6.2 with EcoTec3 engine. Different than the 6.0's that are available right now. The 4.10 gears is a $100 option over 3.73, but makes all the difference in pulling.

I'm not going to get on a list. One thing this summer and fall have taught me is that there are danged few NICE campgrounds outside Arkansas. I mean DANGED FEW. What I have will get me around here. I will probably wait till next Spring. By then the farmers will be finished buying new trucks and one will be available somewhere. The Tahoe at 190,000 miles is now running like a top. I can't see it not going another few years. My buddy at camp has one a bit newer with 243,000 and it just runs down the road pulling whatever, nonstop. These are the best vehicles I've ever seen, bar none. Y'all can talk all day about this one and that one, I have first hand experience with a good, reliable, functional vehicle and I'm still amazed. It'll be 13 years old this Halloween.

I got new shocks on the truck, and it made a WOW bunch of difference. I had no idea how much diff it would make! I haven't pulled the trailer yet but hopefully they will help a little. I probably still need to adjust the hitch, I don't think we got it right yet.

The truck I have ain't what I want to pull the trailer. But I can limp along for a while.

Besides, we just got a bill for S I X T E E N large.............for repair of a well on the farm. I'm still in shock. Not even a new well, just repairing the old one and turbine pump. Large brokeness has broken out here.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

"""""Besides, we just got a bill for S I X T E E N large.............for repair of a well on the farm. I'm still in shock. Not even a new well, just repairing the old one and turbine pump. ."""""

Welcome to the world of farmland ownership....it ain't cheap!!!
    Southern Gentleman

This ain't no BIG farm. Just 500 acres, and half ownership at that. But wow.........

Too bad lightning couldn't have it it. We pay a TON for insurance for that to Farm Bureau. But noooooooooooo, it had to just go out.

Doesn't matter about the size of the farm....even if there's only one well on it, you gotta repair/replace what's there....size only means you have more of 'em to maintain....and, on 500 acres, I'll bet there's more than one well out there.

Power units and/or turbine pumps are expensive....musta bought a new power head for it....so, with 1/2 ownership, you only gotta pay $8K, right???
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 09-08-2013 at 10:28 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Yep.

Probably have 4 wells, I think. I just pay the bills, man. I ain't the owner. I'm the Treasurer, at best.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Bucky, try as I might, I cannot configure a 1500 with the 6.2 and 4.10 gears. The 6.2 can be had with the 3.73 ratio in the 1500 (Max package). I can configure a 2500HD with 4.10's (that's what I've got) but no 6.2 gasser. The engine options are 6.0 and the 6.6 Duramax. Remember the days when you could select from a long list of engine/transmission options? Pretty much whatever you wanted. No more, it seems.

Anyway, have fun hogging brush.

Couldn't a feller get the dealer to install whatever rear end gears he wanted to run in the thing????

Just sayiin'...
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

3:73's is all I could find also. Heck, the torque and H.P. that thing is supposed to have will make up for the lack of gearing. Why make it even more of a gas hog just for an occasional camping trip? That trailer ain't THAT big!

Getting a dealer to install new gears would most likely cost an arm and a leg. Back in the day, we'd do most anything a customer wanted to make the deal. Nowadays, it's hard to get them to swap wheel/tire combinations without a frigging act of Congress ... and then they want to charge a zillion $$$ for their effort!

Not sure I'd want that high of a gear ratio as 411 anyway. You'd have a lot of torque at the low end but you'd pay for it at the high end when you're trying to pass a gas station. 373 is plenty high enough. For some reason I thought the stock for a 2500 was 355 for some reason and people increased to 373 when they wanted more torque.

And 420 horse power? Man, you must be rich.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Standard for the 1500 for the 5.3l is 3.08 wit 3.42 as an option. Standard for the 6.2 is 3.42 with optional 3.73 which also selects the Max Trailer pkg. Oh yeah, you also need to order the SLT trim level to get that package.

The HD is a different animal with pretty much heavier duty everything - frame, brakes, suspension etc. Axel ratio choices are 3.73 with the diesel and 3.73 or 4.10 with the 6.0 gasser. I'm happy enough with the 4.10 gears but the 3.73's would probably give me another mile or two per gal on the highway. Not a huge difference.

My neighbour has a newer GMC 2500HD (2010?) with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears and we get about the same mileage when towing.

I can see the 4:10 being an option for the HD package. If somebody is gonna spring for the cost of an HD, I'd have to assume the truck is going to spend most of it's life hauling heavy loads. If you're hauling D-9 Cats around, the 4:10's are a no brainer. For Bucky's "grocery getter" and occasional camper hauler, I think the HD is overkill. The "Bigger is Better" thing ain't always all it's cut out to be. I should know ... most'o my wimmins tell me it "hurts".

Personally, I think the chassis setup and wheelbase are more important than all of that horsepower and torque. At least unless you're hauling monster loads. Nowadays most trucks have features that allow you to change the shifting points to overcome most issues you have with the drive train. I think if you have heavy duty cooling for the tranny, 280-300 hp, and the right chassis setup you can pull almost anything out there and pull it well. Rather than trying to find a 400 hp gas engine and all that gear, I'd just go to a diesel if I needed more torque. When you add all that shit to it, it's pretty much good for one thing and one thing only, and that's pulling a damn big load. But that's my druthers. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

BKB

I'm with you and agree totally ... if you set yourself up for the heavy haul, your grocery getter becomes a wasted piece of equipment. You may as well switch from a travel trailer to a motorhome. You can still have your daily driver and your heavy hauler ain't costing you an arm and a leg on a daily basis for gas/maint/depreciation. To each his own though ... I just can't see it personally.