Thread: So close

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

So close

Looking outside my hotel window, this is what I see

image-388081944.jpg

Though not a fan of the big cities, would love to be able to take my wife to each of these, especially New York which has been a dream of hers for a LONG time.

I went to NY, once....nobody spoke English, so that was enough for me.
    Southern Gentleman

You must be in Hartford.

Go see Mark Twain's home. Right next door to Harriet Beecher Stowe's house.

Oops! Just remember you were asking about Providence a while back.
    BKB

I don't know of any songs about Rhode Island or I'd sing ya one. Only thing I now about RI is there's a red chicken named after it.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    BBP - yep in Providence though currently in route to the Alden Hydraulics Laboratory in Holden, Mass. It is has been on operation since 1894.

Wow. Coming from the west where everything is relatively newer, its really something to see all that stuff that is so old.

BKB

I lived just outside of Boston for 6-7 months and spent many of my weekends in the city. I also had a buddy from Brooklyn and spent quite a few weekends running around the Big Apple with him. Saw all the sites, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Empire State Building ... you name it, we went there. I have a pic of the World Trade Center (taken from the top of the Empire State Building) while it was still under construction. I think the North Tower was complete (?), but they were still working on the South Tower. Dang, it's been a lot of years. I did have a lot of fun ... not sure I'd want to live there.

If I was not in Boston or NYC, I was running around New England or Quebec. Man, you can drive for an hour up there and go through 6-7 states! Spent a lot of time on Cape Cod or Hampton Beach.

They talk funny up there. I had a buddy in the Air Force that was from Rhode Island and I think my contribution to most of our conversations were 'HUH?'. That guy married a gal from England so she could stay in the US, was a totally platonic deal. They fell in love and ended up living together, just like in the movies.
    BKB

Ha! Yeah, the accents took some getting used to. Also some of the lingo. I'd want to buy a sub for lunch and nobody knew what the hell I was talking about. It was always a Hoagie or a Grinder. (before the days of Subway) I finally learned "pok da' kah" meant "park the car".

Funny story .. the buddy I mentioned above, had lived in Brooklyn all his life and to top it off, was Italian (Phil Cappola). This ol' 19 year old Florida boy had a heck of a time understanding him most of the time. One night, a group of us were headed out to chase wimmins and do a bit of drinking. I hollered at Phil to come with us and he replied, "Mafunsalo". I thought it was some Italian word I didn't understand and prodded him to get off his ass and go with us. He again said, "Mafusalo ... mafunsalo"!! I FINALLY figured out he was telling me he was broke and couldn't afford to go with us! (Mafunsalo = My funds are low!)