Thread: Sure wish we had a fishing forum here .... (attn: Bucksnort)

Sure wish we had a fishing forum here .... (attn: Bucksnort)

... then I could ask this question over there.

I struck gold at an estate sale this morning. I walked into the bathroom and BAM! Right in front of me was a whole shoebox full of old razors and packages of blades! I'm in heaven digging through this stuff. Heck, one is an old Schick Personal Touch with a pack of 5 blades. Got it for a quarter and it'll bring an easy-peasy $50-$60 in a heartbeat. I can prolly get a couple hunnert bucks for the total of a $6.00 investment.

Anyway, I dug through some old fishing stuff in the garage ... nothing really grabbed my eye except this old cricket box. I know it's not worth anything to speak of, but although I remember them, I can't for the life of me remember when they were common. Can any o'youse date this thing? There are no markings on it, but I remember my grandfather had one that looked persactly like it so I would guess 40's - 50's maybe? I remember it was the same color as a Coleman stove. This one's all there including the belt clip and they didn't charge extra for the cricket poop. Not worth much I don't think, but I like thinking of the history behind it and it reminds me of "Pop Kribbs". Everything's plastic these days.

cricketbox 001.JPGcricketbox 002.JPGcricketbox 003.JPG

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Looks invisible to me.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Ha! Yeah ... I forgot the attachments and it took a few minutes to do the edit.

Well, I found one just like it on e-Bay (other than the name "Old Pal" on the top). Sheeesh, he wants $54.00 for it! Doubt he'll get it, but I hope he does ... I'll list mine as soon as his sells! Anyway, according to his listing, it's from the 40's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-Old-Pa...-/330894010881

That'd look great In my office.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I haven't seen one like that. I can't imagine how it'd work for crickets. No way to open the lid without them all getting out. I have two homemade wooden cricket boxes, but I hate using them. My uncle made them probably in the 50's.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Who knows? I never really fished with crickets as a kid .. just worms or cut-bait.

Here's a set of three I found on another site ... marked down from $99 to $89 ... what a bargain!

http://www.relique.com/set-of-three-...nt-bait-boxes/

Maybe they're worth more than I thought.

Arty, if you're serious ... I'll pop it in the mail to ya'. I'm still trying to figure out what it's worth. I just got home and have only spent a few minutes looking. Personally, I think those prices above are probably high ... but people go crazy for the "old" stuff. Heck, take me for example ... I have to fight the wimmins off on a daily basis!

Yeah I'd like to have it. Send it on. Let me know how much

I remember Dad had one kinda sorta like that, except it was aluminum with no paint.
    Prolly still gots it round here somewheres.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Sorry Arty ... got busy here and had to step away. Gonna be tied up for a while, but I'll get this in the mail either today or tomorrow (have some errands to run now). How's $15 sound? (I'll even pick up the postage) I haven't had much time to look around other than the links I posted above, but I think they're high. That's what they're asking ... what they get is another story.

Oh yeah, they didn't charge me for the cricket poop, so I'll pass the "savings" on to you!

Works for me

Just DAMN!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I like this one. It's a more "modern" design with durable old metal and cork construction :wiggleoldcricketcage.jpg

Pump head, that's a sportsman's bedpan not a cricket cage you ninny. If you've ever camped with girls you'd know.
    BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I had a "Bob Bett Bait Box" when I was a kid. I wonder if that thing is still around here anywhere? It would be a neat "prop".
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.