Thread: Cabelas in the tractor business....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I used to burn propane(LP) in all my trucks....had an 80 gal. propane tank mounted in the truck bed, right behind the cab....at that time, the conversion kit to switch a truck over to LP, cost about $100 bucks, and LP was about $1.50 per gallon....now, with all the EPA regulations and computerized engines, the kit costs over a thousand bucks, and LP, costs nearly as much as regular gas....and, LP gas mileage is somewhat lower than regular gas, too....the real convenience of LP in a truck was having that big ole 80 gal. tank in the truck bed....you could ride for a LONG time without a refill.

And, in a tight, you could air up tires and blow out the trash in radiators, if you had an accessory hose attached to the tank....dangerous as h3ll, but everybody did it....saw my daddy-in-law get blown outta his old Farmall M tractor seat, once, when he ran over the sharp end of a culvert, and sliced open the rear tire....LP in the tire ignited from the sparks, when the metal rim hit the metal culvert, and blew him clean off that old tractor.

The real downside to LP on a tractor is the reduction in power....it just doesn't have that good lugging-power that a diesel has.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 10-04-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Southern Gentleman