Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, break's over......

OK, break's over......

.....Back on your heads.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

I understand Congress is taking a vacation now.

First they gotta count all the pork they stuck in the bill. Like the $2.2 billion for the dam project in Kentucky. Thank you, Senators Alexander and McConnell.

BKB

Yepper, McConnell and McCain are two democrats that need to be voted out on the next cycle!
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

I just keep singing that song....
    One day at a time.
    This will be all to do again in January.
    America CANNOT keep spending like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

If what you say is true, and this whole hold everyone hostage thing isn't just a political ploy, then I am wondering why the House majority Republicans haven't come up with anything for the Senate to consider passing prior to the debt ceiling being raised or some funding of the government issue that needs to be passed. I mean, they've got all goddamned year to work on these things and we're supposed to believe that all of the sudden they get this CONVICTION about government spending?

I happen to agree we need to cut spending. but lets work on it NOW as in right this minute and not resort to political shenanigans to try to move something forward to deal with it. Why can't the Republicans even move something forward like Erskine-Bowles now instead of waiting? In my mind it'd make the Democrats look much much worse if the House passed something like that and the Senate Dems rejected it than the bullshit that they just pulled. Or does that make too much goddamned sense?

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Come on Barry, they are doing something. They've created a "bi-partisan committee" to some up with a budget proposal and supposedly everything is "on the table".
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Oh shoot. I forgot.

And I think that's what they were counting on me to do......forget.

BKB

Barry, I guess you been asleep he past few weeks. The house sent a BUNCH of proposals up all vote down by senate Democraps or threatened for veto by OBummer.

SEPTEMBER 20, 2013
    Continuing resolution (H.J. Res. 59): keeps the government running at current spending levels and strengthens our economy by defunding the president’ health care law. (Passed in the House 230-189)

SEPTEMBER 28, 2013
    Continuing resolution (H.J. Res. 59): keeps the government running at current spending levels and strengthens our economy by delaying the president’s health care law by one year, and permanently repealing ObamaCare’s tax on pacemakers and children’s hearing aids. (Amendment #1 Passed 248-174 | Amendment #2 Passed 231-192)

Pay Our Military Act (H.R. 3210): ensures our troops would be paid in the event of a government shutdown. (Passed in the House 423-0)

SEPTEMBER 30, 2013
    Continuing resolution (H.J. Res. 59): keeps the government running at current spending levels; ensures there’s no special treatment for Congress under the president’s health care law; and delays ObamaCare’s individual mandate, providing all Americans with the same relief the president has given big businesses. (Passed in the House 228-201)

Continuing resolution (H. Res. 368): insists on plan to fund the government running at current spending levels; ensure there’s no special treatment for Congress under the president’s health care law; delays ObamaCare’s individual mandate, providing all Americans with the same relief the president has given big businesses; and requests a formal House-Senate conference to resolve differences. (Passed in the House 228-199)

OCTOBER 1, 2013
    Speaker Boehner appoints negotiators to a formal House-Senate conference. See the full list here.

OCTOBER 2, 2013
    Provide Local Funding for the District of Columbia Act (H.J. Res. 71): allows our nation’s capital to continue operating using its own funding. (Passed in the House by voice vote).

Open Our Nation's Parks and Museums Act (H.J. Res. 70): opens all of our national parks and museums, including the WWII Memorial in Washington, DC that was initially closed to veterans by the administration. (Passed in the House 252-173)

Research for Lifesaving Cures Act (H.J. Res. 73): provides funding for the National Institute of Health, which is responsible for lifesaving medical innovations and cancer research. Click here to see Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's (D-NV) comments about this effort. (Passed in the House 254-171)

OCTOBER 3, 2013
    Pay Our Guard and Reserve Act (H.R. 3230): ensures the government shutdown doesn’t affect pay for our National Guard and Reserve. (Passed in the House 265-160)

Honoring Our Promise to America’s Veterans Act (H.J. Res. 72): provides immediate funding for critical veterans benefits and services, including disability claims, education and training, and more. (Passed in the House 259-157)

OCTOBER 4, 2013
    National Emergency and Disaster Recovery Act (H.J. Res 85): provides immediate funding for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). (Passed in the House 247-164)

Nutrition Assistance for Low-Income Women and Children Act (H.J. Res. 75): provides immediate funding for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, which “serves nearly 9 million mothers and young children,” and provides “vital nutrition that poor families might otherwise be unable to afford.” (Passed in the House 244-164)

OCTOBER 5, 2013
    Federal Employee Retroactive Pay Fairness Act (H.R. 3223): provides for compensation of federal employees furloughed due to Senate Democrats' government shutdown. This is similar to bipartisan legislation enacted during previous shutdowns. (Passed in the House 407-0)

t-family: Arial, sans-serif; ">

ml>

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I very seldom forward the junk that circulates via e-mail or blog sites, but the blog I read last week (and later received in an e-mail) intrigues me. I have been involved with governmental "requisitioning" before and it's a nightmare most times. This blog entry has been bouncing around in my head all week and the more I think about it, the more I believe it. The blog was stating Obama had this shut-down planned long ago to trash the Republicans (which he's been doing non-stop) ... or maybe he was just a genius (yeah sure!) and was prepared knowing Congress would never get their shit together. Anyway ... here it is ... you guys can dwell on it now. (I deleted the names from the letter ... it was from one dufe to another dufe)

XXXX,

I have worked in the government on and off for 38 years. During that time I became quite familiar with requisitions, bidding, awarding contracts etc. It is a time consuming process with bean-counters and pencil-necked bureaucrats every step of the way. The simplest request takes months not days or hours.

In less than 8 hours of the shutdown, "miraculously", professionally printed, 3X4 foot signs appeared all over the country in the tens of thousands saying- “this [park, facility, etc. with custom logos and current dates] closed due to government shutdown.

There has not been a government shutdown in 17 years. These signs were designed, specifications were determined, signs were then requisitioned, bids were posted and vetted, government contracts were awarded. The materials were then ordered and the signs manufactured then distributed through U.S. Mails or freight companies.

This shutdown was orchestrated, and planned well in advance, at least 6-8 months ago.

Millions of tax dollars were appropriated and spent in this process. There is a paper trail a mile long leading directly to the White House.

XXXX

I believe that wholeheartedly.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    There is never a good time to cut spending... well I should say there is never a time when it can be done without pain.

Barry I have to shake my head at the hypocrisy of the current surplus of budget hawks. I am a real hawk. A dyed in the wool, don't spend it if you ain't got it (and even when you do maybe you should save it instead), balance the budget and look out for the long term budget hawk. And what I get from the current crop of faux hawks makes me want to chew nails.

They want to act like this problem just appeared overnight instead or built up over decades. They want to pretend we weren't headed into a catastrophic recession when the current admin took office. It is all bullocks! What they really want is a much smaller government. They would reject a balanced budget with a normal sized government as much as what we have now. But they can't say that out loud because very few people in the nation agree with that proposition.

Cut spending AND raise taxes.

That is the only way this gets fixed. Those who refuse one are as bad as those who reject the other. They are all contributing to the problem. It is like that phoney Paul Ryan and his supposed "serious" budget plan. Let's cut all of these social safety net programs BUT only for those of us under the age of 55. Screw him and his plan. I say negotiate on everything but when the cuts come we all take them together. No exceptions. Doing otherwise is just another example of kicking the can.

Will

And, that Will, is why you're a Populist!

And a thread killer, lol.

Will

Makes sense to me! Am I popular too?

One thing that isn't getting a lot of play and is actually part of why this is a good thing (even for your Tea Baggers) is that it does freeze in place for another 3 months the automatic spending cuts brought on by last year's sequestration. So, even though it's a bit of a chainsaw approach to cutting spending, spending is being cut.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Makes sense to me! Am I popular too?
    No but you get to be ignored by both political parties as a door prize for showing up.

Yeah Hank, I was hoping that the sequester would survive and it looks like it did. I think you are right in characterizing it as a chainsaw approach though. Kind of deliciously ironic that the only real spending discipline we've had in decades was done in such a half assed manner.

Will

I think that's 'ballocks' and not 'bullocks' isn't it?

BKB

Probably. Those englishmen never could spell worth a shit.

Will

Bullocks

bullocks.jpg

Bollocks

bollocks.jpg

............ and buttocks!

Thumper wins...

Do I get a raise?

Careful, it's probably a dude. Just sayin...

Ummm, I looked at that pic for a while and have come to the conclusion, I really don't think I'd care!

Oh, and Larke, you might want to see which presidents have increased our national debt the most. Just so you'll know the facts.
    BKB

http://www.skymachines.com/US-Nation...ental-Term.htm

Oh man I wish you had posted that earlier. I'm going to change my registration today! I'll be a Democrap the rest of my life. Man they wear halos. Those mean old nasty, evil, Republicans...
    I'm SURE their increases ain't got a DAMN thing to do with repairing all the short, quick fixes the democrats put on place before them. NOoooooo
    God I've seen the light!

Not trying to turn you into anything. Just showing some facts about deficit spending and the new found zeal by the same people who got us here to suddenly fix it.

BKB

See but the part that YOU will not acknowledge is that when Democrats are in office they will patch thing together and put into place quick fixes that HAVE to be addressed in the long term. Then Republicans inherit a mess and set long term goals and fixes. About the time those programs and solutions start to take hold the Dems get back in an appear to reap the harvest of better times.

Uh no I don't think that's what has happened at all. In any era. all I've heard my entire adult life every time we have a democrat for president is a bunch of hatred spewing vitriolic nonsense from the republican side, and generally have been called every name in the book for having anything other than conservative political beliefs. And then when the Republicans get in office I hear the same thing from the democrats. So I have pretty much given up any hope that any of it makes a tinkers dam bit of difference. You say that Obama wants to redefine America. He couldn't even if he wanted to because the day that what happens in politics is the definition of America is the day I am moving to another country, any country. The main difference between you and I is you care about what happens in Washington. I really don't. I used to but I've not seen any reason for hope or change there in my entire lifetime. The system is broken and always has been.